Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you consider the term Volunteer a term that glorifies the IRA

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Diogenes wrote:
    Theres no some money you refer to it explicity as the money clearly saying all the cash went on Prisoner support.:rolleyes:

I do enjoy it when someone tries to twist my words. It makes me feel that they were truthful enough to cause unease. Thanks, well done.

How about quoting it like this
    Hagar wrote:
    The money that went on prisoners went to support the families
    There is no implication there that all the money went on prisoners is there? Just highlighting the fact that the money that did go on prisoners was family support not money spent keeping prisoners as Vesp seemed to think.
    Diogenes wrote:
    Owwww ickle republicans don't like being baited?

More baiting... I'll give you credit you are a master baiter.:D

/Edit I didn't bring up the fundraising topic, Vesp did and CSK responded long before I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hagar you better watch it there mate, if I was in a bad mood I would count that as abuse.

I'm giving this thread until the end of the day until I close it as it has been flying all over the bloody place away from the OT.

Oh and look its 800 years of oppression in this one :rolleyes:

Apologies. It was only ment in jest not as a personal insult.

I was being baited after all, and it would have been a sin not to give the guy the opportunity to hit the report button. I could feel his finger itching from here. As I say no offence was intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Diogenes wrote:
    Theres no some money you refer to it explicity as the money clearly saying all the cash went on Prisoner support.:rolleyes:

Yes, if you read his post you can clearly see he said "The money THAT WENT on.....", implying 'the portion of the money that was spent on...' , not "all the money was spent on....". Do you comprehend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

Hagar wrote:
    I do enjoy it when someone tries to twist my words. It makes me feel that they were truthful enough to cause unease. Thanks, well done.

Whatever delusion you need to make yourself feel good about yourself is fine by me.
    How about quoting it like this

There is no implication there that all the money went on prisoners is there? Just highlighting the fact that the money that did go on prisoners was family support not money spent keeping prisoners as Vesp seemed to think.

Vesp was stating that the money that was raised for "prisoner support" didn't always go to prisoners, you've just engaged in some semantic quibbling over cash flow. So you admit that money that was raised under the umbrella of "prisoner support" that went to things other than prisoner support? Grand so.
    More baiting... I'll give you credit you are a master baiter.:D

Oh my sides. Shall I show you how to make your calculator say "BOOBIES" since we're pluming the depths of inanity here?
    /Edit I didn't bring up the fundraising topic, Vesp did and CSK responded long before I did.

You didn't have to respond now did you?

• Advertisement

Flex wrote:
    Yes, if you read his post you can clearly see he said "The money THAT WENT on.....", implying 'the portion of the money that was spent on...' , not "all the money was spent on....". Do you comprehend?

Lots of money was raied under the umbrella of "support the political prisoners" Vesp and I are just pointing out that money that was raised to support repubilican "POW"s went on other things. He sarcastically suggested it didn't go on people captured by the republican movement, because the repubilicans kept no prisons, you got a bullet in your kneecap if you were lucky and an unmarked grave if you weren't. But that point seems to have whistled over your head.

Diogenes wrote:
    Whatever delusion you need to make yourself feel good about yourself is fine by men.
    Implying that I am delusional could be classed as abusive. But then I'm a nice guy so I'll say no more about it.
    Diogenes wrote:
    Vesp was stating that the money that was raised for "prisoner support" didn't always go to prisoners,
    Vesp clearly thought that it was being claimed that the IRA was spending money on prisoners that it was holding. He missed the family support point altogether.
    Diogenes wrote:
    you've just engaged in some semantic quibbling over cash flow.
    No I'm not. I don't think you can grasp the point I'm trying to make so you are falling back on rhetoric
    Diogenes wrote:
    So you admit that money that was raised under the umbrella of "prisoner support" that went to things other than prisoner support? Grand so.
    Please show me exactly where I said that? You won't be able to because I never did.
    Diogenes wrote:
    Oh my sides. Shall I show you how to make your calculator say "BOOBIES" since we're pluming the depths of inanity here?
    It was mildly amusing if a little schollboyish. It was just a bit of banter, hence the smiley, you should have realised that. I don't really go in for personal insults. I was just attempting to lighten/defuse what is in danger of becoming a bit of a flame war.
    Diogenes wrote:
    You didn't have to respond now did you?
    I was just making the point that once again you were factually incorrect in attributing something to me that I never said/posted.

/edit I see from your other post that Vesp may have been making a sarcastic comment. Fair enough so. But why hasn't he said he was being sarcastic since then???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

Diogenes wrote:
    Lots of money was raied under the umbrella of "support the political prisoners" Vesp and I are just pointing out that money that was raised to support repubilican "POW"s went on other things. He sarcastically suggested it didn't go on people captured by the republican movement, because the repubilicans kept no prisons, you got a bullet in your kneecap if you were lucky and an unmarked grave if you weren't. But that point seems to have whistled over your head.

I don't think any body suggested that any money raised went completley on prisoner support.

but what i took from Vesp's posts (and i was not the only one) was that he misunderstood the term 'prisoner support' to mean the actual keeping of prisoners by the IRA.now maybe this was some clever debating device to lure unsuspecting posters into a trap or maybe it was sarcasm.
    THB though I can't see that and I think it is just a simple misunderstanding.

The reality is that it still soesn't persuade me to see the Term 'Volunteer' as somehow glorifying the IRA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

So, if I get this right then, a few guys were interned in Maze Prison and their families were given a few quid.

The rest was spent on weapons (considering Col Gadafi gave the IRA a **** loads of weapons I can't imagine they needed to spend much on those) and political campaigns.

Why then, do most of the IRA godfathers live on the west coast and mince around in luxury yachts?

Why then, do most of the IRA godfathers live on the west coast and mince around in luxury yachts?
    Can you substantiate this claim?

• Advertisement

Hagar wrote:
    Implying that I am delusional could be classed as abusive. But then I'm a nice guy so I'll say no more about it.

Generally as a rule of thumb, I suspect people who announce themselves as "nice guys" aren't. False advertising.

Hmm such a nice guy that you'll abuse me, but apologise to the mod and not to me, a class act all round.
    Vesp clearly thought that it was being claimed that the IRA was spending money on prisoners that it was holding. He missed the family support point altogether.

Sarcasm seems to be beyond you. Vesp was pointing out that the IRA prisoner support money wasn't being spent on prisoners of the IRA, because they don't have any. He was pointing out that not every penny raised under the umbrella of "Prisoner support" spent went to members of the IRA in prisoner and their families.
    No I'm not. I don't think you can grasp the point I'm trying to make so you are falling back on rhetoric

No I can. I'll prove it by asking a simple question. Do you feel that every penny raised by groups like Noraid, under the umbrella of "republican POW support" was spent supporting republican POWs and their families.
    Please show me exactly where I said that? You won't be able to because I never did.

Please answer the above question and we'll get to the root of the matter.
    It was mildly amusing if a little schollboyish. It was just a bit of banter, hence the smiley, you should have realised that. I don't really go in for personal insults. I was just attempting to lighten/defuse what is in danger of becoming a bit of a flame war.

Just a liitle schoolboyish? So let me get this straight... You thought this was going to descend into a flamewar so you decided to engage in a little bit of childish namecalling to ensure that didn't happen? Wow... Thats the most pathetic excuse for abuse I've ever heard.
    I was just making the point that once again you were factually incorrect in attributing something to me that I never said/posted.

No I'm extrapolating from what you said. You stated that the money that went on prisoners, was spent on republican pows, the implication being that you believe all cash raised for such a cause went to such a cause. Do you really think it did. Yes or no answer please
    /edit I see from your other post that Vesp may have been making a sarcastic comment. Fair enough so. But why hasn't he said he was being sarcastic since then???

Because it was blindingly obvious he was being sarcastic, he assumed you didn't need it spelt out for you? Furthermore his last post on this thread continued his sarcasm, demanding why he hasn't said something when he may not have been online since is a bit much...

csk wrote:
    I don't think any body suggested that any money raised went completley on prisoner support.

but what i took from Vesp's posts (and i was not the only one) was that he misunderstood the term 'prisoner support' to mean the actual keeping of prisoners by the IRA.

Lets just look at his last post
    vesp wrote:
    Well seeing as how the PIRA did not spend a penny on prisoners it captured - apart from maybe the odd pliers and the odd bullet - what other prisoners were there ? And they did not have to pay for their b+b, did they ?

I think theres no doubt there that Vesp knows theres no IRA prisons, and the IRAs methology of dealing with prisoners was harsh and brutal.

The naviete expressed by some posters on this thread boggles the mind.
    Hagar wrote:
    Can you substantiate this claim?

Never heard of Slab Murphy then have we?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I don't see much point in leaving this thread open for the rest of the day, as it's gone way off-topic and degenerated into a flamefest. Hagar and Diogenes, both of you need to tone down your arguments in any future threads.

By the way, sligobhoy67, for future reference: when I ask for clarification on a remark, I expect you to supply it before discussing the topic further.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement