Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Sci-Fi Authors

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I'd just like to mention that Chasm City is by far my favourite Al Reynolds book. It just oozes awesomeness.

Kinda been turned off Richard Morgan at this stage, it seems every new book has more and more abysmal sex scenes that are just the male protagonist saying c**t over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Don't see one author I like listed yet: Rob Grant is very good. Colony is especially good.
    Doug Naylor is very very bad on the other hand..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

bonkey wrote: »
    Not to mention his newer two-parter Ilium/Olympus. Super mix of Homerian content with sci-fi, I thought.

Such good books, fantastic, I preferred them to the Shrike books.

For me though, as modern SciFi goes, it has to be either Iain M Banks, Peter F Hamilton or Alastair Reynolds, brilliant brilliant writers, I snap up everything they write as soon as its published.

But then I think of the likes of Jonathan Lethem with "As She Climed Across The Table" and "Gun With Occasional Music".
    The likes of Richard Morgan with the Takeshi Kovacs trilogy and his latest work of genius "Black Man".
    The likes of Michael Marshall Smith with "Only Forward" and "Spares".

And my favourite SciFi book of the last decade "Mobius Dick" by Andrew Crumey, absolute pure genius.

But then you think of the great classics,
    Arthur C Clarke with "Rama", "2001", "Fall of Moondust" and "Songs Of A Distant Earth".
    John Brunner with "Stand On Zanzibar",
    John Varley with "The Ophiuchi Hotline" and "Steel Beach"
    James Blish, "Cities In Flight"

and so on and so on.

So, no really, I don't have a favourite SciFi author, the nature of the genre means that someone is always bringing out something startling and new, something to take your breath away.

At the same time, I can tell the folk I wish never picked up a bloody pen!

Advertisement