Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet 8MB Fibre Speed Test

Options
  • 02-12-2006 3:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi I have the magnet 8mb fibre connection and i was wandering if there is anyone else with the 8mb service 8 up/down

will you be able to run http://www.speedtest.net/ on the london server and post your result here, it gives you the direct image link on the below right

Mine is running great but there is an issue with the upload. i dont see it as been 8mb maybe 3-4

thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

thats the best looking speed test ive ever seen lol.

but anyways, its recommended that you use these tests.

http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed.php
    http://support.smarttelecom.ie/bbspeedtool.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭bungholio

What should be 8mb upload and 8mb download only registers on those speed tests as 10.2mb :eek: download and 537kbps upload :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Only 10Mb?!

Yeah the uplead is a bit poor, is it really ment to be 8Mb up also??

yeah it is suppose to be, test below

test1bp3.th.jpg

QUOTE FORM MAGNET SITE

"· Up to 8Mb download"
    "· 8Mb upload in new housing developments equipped with Fibre-To-The-Home technology."

try the test again make sure youa re not on a wireless connection to your modem and that nothing else is duwnlaoding/uploading, since you were getting 3/4mbps to the UK on the upload, you should get at least that to those tests

• Advertisement

yeah i tried it again on irishisptest.com reg 12mb and 565kbps

on the london server on speedtest.net
    62942134.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Hey man, I'm on magnet, supposed to be 4mb down, 512k up, but off the speed
    test site I get about 2mb down and anywhere between 26k to 200k up, which
    is crap. I've complained about it but they've done nothing. I think I'll be changing
    isp when I move house.

EDIT: That is one groovy speed test site though! I ran it from my parents house
    who have a 1mb up/down service and the results were 982kb down and 926kb up.
    Fairly accurate.

yeah it is a wicked site, if i connect using my wireless network the speed slows down quite considerably, at least 2-3mb but i'm using a cable at the minute now, every mb counts eh

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭adrian.s

Howdy,

On the Magnet 8MB FTTH connection and ran the test.

Great results: 7897kb/s down and 9969 kb/s up. First time if seen the upload faster than down, but hey, I'm not complaining.

HTH,
    A.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

how much is that connection per month with magnet? how much is installation?

• Advertisement

it is only in new housing developments that are pre wired with fibre, and cat 5 they have a small llist on there website under ftth service somewhere

ill get on to em on monday morn see what the problem may be

if you have a good line though, like me, the 4mbps/512k ADSL2+ service results in 6mbps/1mbps :-)

adrian.s wrote:
    Howdy,

On the Magnet 8MB FTTH connection and ran the test.

Great results: 7897kb/s down and 9969 kb/s up. First time if seen the upload faster than down, but hey, I'm not complaining.

HTH,
    A.

that seems more like it, ill have to ring em on monday and get mine sorted

JNive wrote:
    if you have a good line though, like me, the 4mbps/512k ADSL2+ service results in 6mbps/1mbps :-)

i need the upload speed more than i need download as i do database modification transfers to paris on a daily basis and they range from 100-300mb and timeouts and resuming is not an option it has to go in the same session, otherwise databse corruption may occur

well you are on FTTH which is not the service i was referring to, but those that cant get FTTH, only ADSL2+ over the phoneline,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

bungholio wrote:
    i need the upload speed more than i need download as i do database modification transfers to paris on a daily basis and they range from 100-300mb and timeouts and resuming is not an option it has to go in the same session, otherwise databse corruption may occur

Take an MD5 hash of the file on your computer, then an MD5 hash of the file on the server, if they match then there was no corruption ?

Seems like an easy way to save yourself resending a lot of stuff.

Advertisement