Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Navigation Trials

• 02-12-2006 7:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Does anyone have information on navigation trials. I seen some stuff on it on the motorsport ireland website and want to give it a go.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Have been involved for past 6years...great fun & cheaper side of rallying.
    All the work is on the navigators side & differently to stage rallying navigators are recognised as the talent more-so than the drivers.

Best way to get involved is to go to a few in your area, do a timepoint, try to get talking to a navigtor or two after the event (during an event is NOT the best time for chat!).

Best motorclubs for navigations :
    Monaghan - National, border & club navigation c'ships
    Cavan - National & border
    Midland - National & border
    Cork (Skibereen area) National, Munster & Club
    & Donegal (not involved in National/Border Championships)

See you on the nav circuit soon then?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Tormentd

thanks for the info. I tried my local motorsport club (galway) and they didn't seem to know anything about it. What modification/equipment need to be done to the car? Is it possible to use my daily car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

I'd say your nearest nav club would be midlands, most clubs run classes around the end of the summer months.

Brian Duggan's site list all Irish Motorsport news & events listings including Night Navigations (and championship standings)http://www.rally.ie - .

Motorsport Ireland's 'Green Book' (some info on the website : http://www.motorsportireland.com/index.cfm/loc/7-5.htm) has all your technical regulations & rules for navigation cars, but the basics are:

- Standard road-going car (should be road worthy, i.e. NCT, good tyres etc - this is important & local police are informed & usually not too far from any navigation event )

- Vehicle MUST be non-turbo & 2.0lt capacity or lower (lower cc & navigator ability rank higher in the event of any tie in results)

- Sump-guard is recommended to protect the underside, for rough terrain, i.e. forests, farms, feilds & tracks which haven't seen a vehicle for 20+years!

The National Championship is well underway for this year, the calander looks like this:

- Monaghan 'Drumlin' - 7/8 Oct 06
    - Cavan - 22/23 Oct 06
    - Cork Startrek - 5/6 Nov 06
    - Midland - 10/11 Dec 06
    - Cork 1000 Shakes - 7/8 Jan 06
    - Skibbereen 100 Isles - 11/12 Feb 07
    - Cavan - 4/5 Mar 07
    - Monaghan - 25/26 Mar 07

Anything else I can help with just ask.

Are you planning on driving/navigating?

Do you have a driver/navigator?

Have you a car in mind?

I'd really reccommend NOT using your own road car as there have been incidents of severe damage to vehicles during navigation trials due to the rough terrain...imagine doing a forestry rally in your own car!

For anything from €50 - €1500 is about what you should be thinking of spending on a nav car(older Civic, 1.5lt is popular, the more experienced competitors are fond of 2.0lt Vectras - generally ex-PSNI/RUC cars auctioned off cheaply)

Advertisement