Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tiptronic - worse milage or same as manual ?

Options
  • 02-12-2006 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm looking at a Passat 1.9 TDI and it's got a Tiptronic gearbox.
    I know automatic gearboxes give worse fuel economy than manual, but what about a Tiptronic ?
    Any advice would be great !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Most people with tiptronics would not really use this function very often. If an engine has decent levels of torque, driving it in "D" would be the norm, just like a standard auto.

In theory they would be a little more economical than a normal auto, but in practice ... i.e. the real world and so driven like an auto, there is not a great difference, so much of a muchness.

Economical on long journeys, but for short spins, autos are thirsty. The real killer of mpg in autos is driving above 2,500 - 3000rpm. Using the kickdown function also drinks juice, big time. If you like to press on a bit, you will see the fuel gauge, drop before your very eyes, quite quickly.

Having said that at least in a diesel, the mpg figures are good compared to their smaller engined petrol counterparts. Thats why I got a 530d and then a 535d ... so I can have the best of both worlds - Economy & fun factor. My previous 2.0l petrols were thirstier when using a heavy right foot !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

A tiptronic is not always an auto, the term is now used for different types of boxes. More of them now are manual type cog box and friction clutch that are operated automatically.

The reason that auto boxes have worse MPG than manuals is because the torque converter wastes energy transfering the engine rotation to the gearbox at all times. Once a clutch is fully engaged it locks the engine and gearbox so no energy is lost.

Once it is in gear a tiptronic would be as economical as a manual.

I suggest the OP takes the car for a long test drive to make sure he likes the gearbox and make sure to try hill starts and reversing in it. I haven't driven a tiptronic car for a few years so they have probably improved them but the one I did drive was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Between Dec 05 and Feb 06, I covered 9k in a 130bhp Tiptronic Passat Tdi. Average was 38mpg. I don't think that's excessive, and certainly inside the 10% tolerance for autos over manual.

Between Feb 06 and May 06 I covered 14k in a 105bhp Golf with DSG. Average there was 46mpg. It drives superbly, and is a worthy successor to the Tiptronic box, now in existence for 17 years.

Tiptronic is a specific Porsche invention, used by VAG and also under licence by Peugeot and iirc........Mitsubishi, and a few others....it's a brake-band and epicyclic gearbox, with torque convertor, and is an good improvement over conventional auto boxes. The DSG goes further, and is even better.

I think the reason for the Passat's poor mpg is the 130bhp engine, not the autobox. A Skoda Octavia with the same box, and the 105bhp engine will get you an average of 48mpg.

It is this experience with the new generation of 'auto' boxes that has now me a confirmed 'non-manual' user from now on, and I've an E200K with their version of Tiptronic - Steptronic?? - fitted. Again, silky smooth, and with the petrol engine averages 29mpg on short runs (less than 5miles..) and up to 36mpg on a run (to Limerick/Dublin, etc.)

Personally, I think if you buy one, you'll wonder why you didn't do it 5 years earlier.....and s/hand auto/tiptronics now hold their value very, very well, there being a shortage of non-manual used cars. Especially in diesel.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement