Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikon Capture 'v' Photoshop Elements 4

• 02-12-2006 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

I recently got a Nikon D50 which came with a 30 day trial of Nikon Capture. Before I buy the full version I was wondering if anyone has a view on whether I would be better getting Photoshop Elements 4.

I'm a newbie and probably won't be getting into any heavy processing. Just looking to extract the best out of the image.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Dimy

You can never go wrong with Photoshop Elements, it's a very powerful and easy to use image editing software package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

I guess you are talking about Capture NX?

Interested in this myself. Haven't tried the 30 day trial, as I am too lazy to try get to grips with it in 30 days!!

I am currently using Photoshop Elements 3.0 with RAW plug-in downloaded from adobe (lets you change white balance, sharpening and more besides) and find it pretty good.

I _think_ (please correct my illusions!) Capture NX is along the lines of Adobe Lightroom, in that you use it to get the best exposure from your RAW files. PS Elements concentrates more on editing stuff like cloning, removing unwanted objects etc. (with exposure correction tools as well, but not emphasis on). The control points system in NX is meant to be very easy to use and means you can do in one step what takes a lot more work in Photoshop.

I find PS Elements great for cataloging pictures also.

I guess you will probably find you could do with having both :) If I had to pick one I would go with Elements and download the beta of Lightroom, which you can use for longer than a month (at the moment anyway).

Only learning this stuff myself so will be following this thread with interest. Anybody using Capture NX?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Is Photoshop Elements like Photoshop-lite or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

Yip, pretty much Photoshop on a diet. A good few bits left out, a few new bits brought in, with a few ease of use wizards for good measure. Not as bad as sounds and a fraction of the price of its more portly brother. By the way, to original poster, version 5.0 is the current edition, so beware of anybody trying to off load old stock of 4.0. I think 5.0 adds levels as a feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Photoshop Elements 5.0 is very user friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Agreed. I'm very, very impressed with PSE 5.0.

Advertisement