Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its a funny old game!

• 02-12-2006 4:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Thread inspired by Arsenals 3-0 win. Just a place to stick random, weird and wonderful things from the planets greatest sport. :D

Incredible to think that every time they have taken the lead at home in the Premiership this season, they've won 3-0. Equally incredible that every time they've conceded first, they've drawn 1-1.

Was also reading earlier that Gilles de Bilde missed a game for his current club, Willebroek, because he was mourning the death of... his dog.

Also, this one is brilliant, a bit long but worth reading! When England played Scotland in the first ever international, it ended it a 0-0 draw. Nothing strange there, but just a few months later the same two sides met and England became the first nation to win an international football match. This, of course, made them the world champions :). Now if you were to apply the boxing method of crowning world champions, i.e - if you beat the world champion, you take their crown, then Scotland took the honour a year later. Now if you were to track all the results from then until now, not only would you be a hero of the highest order, but you would find out that...
    • Ireland have been footballing world champions for a total of 2,576 days!
    • Ireland last held the honour in 1920.
    • Scotland have held the honour for the longest combined total, a whopping 12,999 days!
    • The Dutch Antilles have held the title for a whopping 4 days!
    • Finland have never held the title, despite having 12 chances to do so. They've drawn once and lost eleven times!
    • The current footballing World Champions are the mighty nation of Georgia, having taken it from Uruguay last month with a hard-fought 1-0 victory. They defend the title in Tbilisi on the 7th of February against Turkey. Watch this space!

Anyone else got any little weird or random anecdotes to share? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Was also reading earlier that Gilles de Bilde missed a game for his current club, Willebroek, because he was mourning the death of... his dog

**** sake. transfer market tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    • Ireland last held the honour in 1920.

That page you link to said Ireland last won it in 2004 from the Czech Republic, as well as having held it in 1977.

Good find though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Hmmm, down the bottom it says Ireland last held it in 1920, but I'd imagine they mean "Ireland" as opposed to the "Republic of Ireland", thats what got me confused. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

David Beasant once damaged a tendon in his foot after a bottle of salad cream fell on it...
    Rio Ferdinand damaged a hamstring by having his feet up on the coffee table for too long...
    And Darren Barnard wrenched his knee after slipping in a puddle left by their dog!

In 2000-01 in the West Midland Regional Womens Football League North, these were the results for Burton Brewers:
    Lost 6-0, lost 17-0, lost 18-0, lost 13-2, lost 21-0, lost 27-0, lost 23-0, lost 22-0, lost 14-1, lost 16-0 and in their final game of the season they lost by the amazing score of 57-0!!!

In 1983-84 in Romania's Divizia C, Minerul Aninoasa finished bottom out of 16 clubs, despite only being two points off fifth place

Norway's SK Brann changed division every year for eight years in the 1980s
    1979 Relegated
    1980 Promoted
    1981 Relegated
    1982 Promoted
    1983 Relegated
    1984 Promoted
    1985 Relegated
    1986 Promoted

West Brom's list of managers between 1971 and 1988 read:
    Don, Johnny, Ronnie, Ron, Ronnie, Ron, Johnny, Ron, Ron

How's that to be going on with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did'nt Robbie Keane break his foot with a remote control? Or was that David Seaman? Keane was injured by a "HOOFER-DOOFER" at some point! Dangerous yokes them!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

When Derry win the FAI cup tomorrow 1st thing monday morning they have to go to the bank and change the winnings into their own currecny, odd but true :)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

September 12th 1885.

Arbroath 36-0 Bon Accord.

Record for the worst defeat in a senior British football match.

On the same day Dundee Harp 35-0 Aberdeen Rovers :eek:

Hate to be Dundee Harp.

A couple more bizarre injuries:
    Alan Mullery had to withdraw from an England squad after he ricked his back while shaving
    The career of Brentford goalkeeper Chic Brodie was ended when a terrier ran on to the pitch and collided with Brodie's knee, causing major ligament damage.

Also, Brodie was once keeping goal when opposing fans threw a hand-grenade into his goal! The grenade was later found out to be deactivated...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

And the winner is.....
    DS wrote:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

La Roja's most infamous moment came on September 3, 1989. During a 1990 FIFA World Cup qualifying match at Rio De Janeiro's Maracanã stadium, Brazil led Chile 1-0. A defeat for Chile would eliminate them from the tournament. Around the 67-minute mark, Chilean goalkeeper Roberto "Cóndor" Rojas fell to the pitch with an apparent injury to his forehead. A firework, thrown from the stands by a Brazilian fan named Rosemary de Mello, was smouldering about a yard away. After carrying Rojas off the pitch, the Chilean players and coaches refused to return claiming conditions were not safe. The match went unfinished.

After studying video footage of the match showing that the firework had not made contact with Rojas, FIFA awarded Brazil a 2-0 win (eliminating Chile from the 1990 World Cup). Chile were banned from the qualifiers of the 1994 Football World Cup, and Rojas was banned for life (although an amnesty was granted in 2001).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chile_national_football_team

According to The Observer:
    1: Roberto Rojas
    Brazil v Chile, World Cup qualifier, 3 September 1989

Overrun and intimidated, Chile needed a way out. The plan: force an abandonment and a replay in a neutral venue. The execution: on 69 minutes, goalkeeper Rojas threw himself into the smoke of a firecracker, which had landed nearby, pulled a razor blade from his glove and stabbed himself in the head. The result: lots of blood, a mass brawl, a walkout, an abandonment - but, after video evidence, no replay. Instead, Brazil were awarded the game, Chile were out of one World Cup and excluded from the next, Rojas was banned for life and the woman who threw the firecracker was signed up by Playboy Brazil. In May 2001, Fifa lifted the ban. 'At 43, I'm unlikely to play again,' said Rojas, now coach at São Paulo, 'but at least this pardon will cleanse my soul.'
    http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,,1072648,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

DS wrote:
    great find:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

MrJoeSoap and Graeme Souness fans will recall this one fondly...

Ali Dia born Dakar, 20 August 1965, is a former Senegalese footballer who once played for English FA Premier League club Southampton, after falsely claiming to be a Senegalese international.

After a playing career at the lower levels in France and Germany, and having already had failed trials at Port Vale, Gillingham and Bournemouth, Dia was signed by Southampton manager Graeme Souness in 1996, after Souness received a phone call purporting to be from Liberian international and former FIFA World Player of the Year George Weah. "Weah" told Souness that Dia was his cousin, had played for Paris Saint-Germain and had played 13 times for his country. In actual fact, none of this was true, and the phone call was from Dia's agent. Nonetheless, Souness was convinced, and signed Dia on a one-month contract.

Dia played just one game for Southampton, against Leeds United on November 23 1996. He came on as a substitute for Matthew Oakley after 32 minutes, but his performance was spectacularly below Premier League quality; many would say that Dia was the worst player to ever play for Southampton. He himself suffered a substitution (by Ken Monkou) after playing for 53 minutes. Leeds won the match 2-0.

Dia was released by Southampton two weeks into his contract. He briefly played for non-league Gateshead, before fading into obscurity.

He has achieved a notorious status amongst English football fans for his lack of ability, and is regularly featured in lists of bad players or bad transfers.

Ali Dia wore shirt number 33 on his one and only appearance for the Saints.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Dia

Dia is on my list of heroes and I fully intend to meet him one day. Seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

DS wrote:
    That is brilliant. Can you imagine commentating on it.
    When the match is tied 2-2
    "And the Grenada team cant score in the Barbados goal and are now running back to their own goal but they are met by Barbados defending the goal".
    CRAZY!!!

Thats absolute genius. It'd be just like the FAI to introduce a rule like that!

An alleged true story from an Arsenal season-ticket holder: his position last year was an absolute plum, halfway up Highbury's main stand, close to halfway. After the first few games of the season it became apparent that despite all home games being sell-outs, the two seats on his left were always empty. This continued until just after Christmas, when a guy and his young son appeared. Asked if he knew why the seats had been empty, he said: "Tell me about it. It was a lovely present. The wife bought me and my son season tickets - and gave them to us for Christmas."

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    An alleged true story from an Arsenal season-ticket holder: his position last year was an absolute plum, halfway up Highbury's main stand, close to halfway. After the first few games of the season it became apparent that despite all home games being sell-outs, the two seats on his left were always empty. This continued until just after Christmas, when a guy and his young son appeared. Asked if he knew why the seats had been empty, he said: "Tell me about it. It was a lovely present. The wife bought me and my son season tickets - and gave them to us for Christmas."
    Haha that's deadly. The season was over by the Christmas too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Err given the waiting list for Season tickets I reckon that is pure bull tbh !!!

gandalf wrote:
    Err given the waiting list for Season tickets I reckon that is pure bull tbh !!!

Ah you spoiled it! Twas just a joke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

Great list must have taken the guy (obviously a Scot) years to do it nice to see the 1950 USA team rewarded for their efforts and the Netherland's Antilles, Costa Rica and Israel. I bet Brian Kerr had that list to show the FAI before they fired him, Stan should arrange a friendly against Venezuala quick. What happens if he got one of the results wrong it would feck everything up I'm sure some of the boardsters are checking the resilts as it is.

patmac wrote:
    Great list must have taken the guy (obviously a Scot) years to do it nice to see the 1950 USA team rewarded for their efforts and the Netherland's Antilles, Costa Rica and Israel. I bet Brian Kerr had that list to show the FAI before they fired him, Stan should arrange a friendly against Venezuala quick. What happens if he got one of the results wrong it would feck everything up I'm sure some of the boardsters are checking the resilts as it is.

Georgia are actually the current holders. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Ex Liverpool goal keeper Stensgard had to retire due to a shoulder injury. While ironing a pair of trousers he dropped the iron but caught it before it hit the floor. On catching it however he tore multiple ligament and tendons in his shoulder that never healed properly.

MrJoeSoap wrote:

I first heard that about Newcastle when Keegan took over :D
    And that was allegedly true as well!

I first heard that about Newcastle when Keegan took over :D
    And that was allegedly true as well!
    Haha I think I actually heard it years ago too, then saw it on The Guardian site today and said I'd post it. Still funny anyway, it'll be making an appearance next time I'm in the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mossy Monk wrote:
    **** sake. transfer market tbh

What's wrong with that? My dog died tonight. Had him since I was 10. I knew yesterday he was being put down and I played sh**e in astro last night. Got a problem with that too?

Xavi6 wrote:
    What's wrong with that?
    It's a dog! That's what's wrong. The guy essentially didn't turn up for work because his pet died. Fair enough that you can empathise with him, but I think that most people would think that it was strange that he missed a game because his pet died.

BaZmO* wrote:
    It's a dog! That's what's wrong. The guy essentially didn't turn up for work because his pet died. Fair enough that you can empathise with him, but I think that most people would think that it was strange that he missed a game because his pet died.

So him playing with the death of his dog on his mind (which is clearly a big thing) would benefit his team mates how?

Xavi6 wrote:
    So him playing with the death of his dog on his mind (which is clearly a big thing) would benefit his team mates how?
    Well he didn't turn up for his job but you managed to turn up for an astro game. I'm failing to see your logic.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote:
    Well he didn't turn up for his job but you managed to turn up for an astro game. I'm failing to see your logic.

How?! I turned up and played sh*t. My team were at a disadavantage the whole time. The same would have happened if de Bilde was on the pitch for the game. It's pretty basic logic.

Did you go to work?

BaZmO* wrote:
    Did you go to work?

Yes and my motivation was completely gone and I didn't do it to the best of my ability. Do you have a dog?

But you still went.

Yes I did, but she died years ago. I've also had cats too.

BaZmO* wrote:
    But you still went.

Yes and performed badly. Same way de Bilde would have. Are you tellin me that a player who hasn't got his mind on the game is better than a player who does?

Depends on the strength of the other players I suppose. Either way, work is work.

Why didn't you ring in sick?

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote:
    Depends on the strength of the other players I suppose. Either way, work is work.

Why didn't you ring in sick?

Purely for monetary reasons. I couldn't give a damn about the job itself.

Fair enuffski. Still think it's strange that the other guy didn't turn up for his job though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

what hes trying to say is that its relatively mild compared to the death of a human.

people can empathise with the death of a family member, but a pet, most ppl wouldn't accept that as reason enough for his actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

This has to be the strangest diversion to off topic i have ever seen!

iregk wrote:
    This has to be the strangest diversion to off topic i have ever seen!
    You mustn't be familiar with foot.ie so! :p

• Advertisement

Bit of team news for Baggies fans. Russell Hoult has been suspended by the club in relation to this......

http://www.4thegame.com/features/feature/199390/wacky_world_lowering_the_tone.html
    LOWERING THE TONE

It's a sordid world out there, really it is. This week things seem to be hitting a new low when it comes to the depraved antics of footballers and fans, so here at Wacky World we feel it is our duty to tell you all about it. We start off with West Brom keeper Russell Hoult, who has become the latest in a long line of goalkeepers to get involved in a rather embarassing sex scandal, following in the proud traditions of Stefan Postma and Ben Alnwick.

Of course, Hoult doesn't reach the REALLY depraved lows of Postma and his rather dominant ex-girlfriend, but he is currently starring in a new sex tape, alongside another man and a woman. His club will no doubt be disappointed in him, but at least he showed loyalty to the Baggies by wearing a polo shirt with their badge on it whilst, erm, 'performing' in this classy movie. We hasten to add that we haven't seen it, but are reliably (ie, it's in The Sun) informed that the lady was wearing a 'skimpy black bra'. No other clothes are mentioned...

Mind you, that's still more clothing than Hoult was seen in when he sent some dodgy pics of himself to a lady's mobile a couple of years ago. Did we mention that he's married with two kids? A pal explained that Hoult is gutted that this video has been leaked: "All those involved are good friends and what happened was supposed to stay between them. But the person filming lost his phone and the clip is being passed around on Bluetooth. Russell is upset but it's too late."

Very good friends indeed, it would seem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Exit wrote:

And a windy match in South Africa - http://youtube.com/watch?v=NIKdK-T-jZM

:eek: I think that is the most surreal thing I have ever seen. That stadium is huge, it's amazing how the wind got behind the boards at all:confused:
    It's the definition of a freak accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

jesus :eek:

thats wind for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

**** it, I'd do that to my own brother for the laugh! :D

Advertisement