Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...almost there

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

I’m reading “Vernon God Little” by DBC Pierre at the moment – Very very funny. Well worth reading, if you haven’t already!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Well to update this thread with the result... after 16098 pages I managed to beat my 2006 new years resolution target of a book a week and actually read 53 instead of 52, finishing the last one on New Years Eve. Below the full list.

Probably too much fiction in the list.. this year I will lean more on auto bio's etc.

P.S. - Whoever suggested "Of Love and Other Demons" should be shot.

1 Pandora's Star
    Peter F.Hamilton
    2 Judas Unchained
    Peter F.Hamilton
    3 Angela's Ashes
    Frank McCourt
    4 Veronika decides to die
    Paulo Coelho
    5 Day of the Locust
    Nathanael West
    6 The Dream life of Balso Snell
    Nathanael West
    7 The Great Gatsby
    F.Scott Fitzgerald
    8 The Little Prince
    Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    9 Catch-22
    Joseph Heller
    10 A Brief History of Time
    Stephen Hawking
    11 Men are Mars, Women are from Venus --- John Gray
    12 Thud
    Terry Pratchett
    13 The Man in the High Castle
    Philip K.Dick
    14 The Alchemist
    Paulo Coelho
    15 The 5 people you meet in Heaven
    Mitch Albom
    16 Lolita
    Vladimir Nabokov
    17 Darkness at Noon
    Arthur Koestler
    18 The Valkyries
    Paulo Coelho
    19 The Sound and the Fury
    William Faulkner
    20 The Subterranean Railway
    Christian Wolmar
    21 Under the Volcano
    Malcolm Lowry
    22 Pincher Martin
    William Golding
    23 Trainspotting
    Irvine Welsh
    24 A Sunday at the pool in Kigali
    Gil Courtemanche
    25 Cosmos
    Carl Sagan
    26 The Wasp Factory
    Iain Banks
    27 The Player of Games
    Iain Banks
    28 The Satanic Verses
    Salman Rushdie
    29 Pirates and Emperors, Old and New
    Noam Chomsky
    30 The Rules of the Game
    Pierluigi Collina
    31 A Clockwork Orange
    Anthony Burgess
    32 A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man -- James Joyce
    33 Great Expectations
    Charles Dickens
    34 Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    Hunter S.Thompson
    35 Les Misérables
    Victor Hugo
    36 Heart of Darkness
    Joseph Conrad
    37 The Phantom of the Opera
    Gaston Leroux
    38 Macbeth
    William Shakespeare
    39 Life of Pi
    Yann Martel
    40 I Know You Got Soul
    Jeremy Clarkson
    41 Million Dollar Habits
    Brian Tracy
    42 The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    Malcolm X
    43 East of Eden
    John Steinbeck
    44 Mr Nice
    Howard Marks
    45 Loosing my Virginity
    Richard Branson
    46 The Old Man and the Sea
    Ernest Hemingway
    47 Carpe Jugulum
    Terry Pratchett
    48 Bloomberg
    Mike Bloomberg
    49 Green Hills of Africa
    Ernest Hemingway
    50 The World According to Clarkson
    Jeremy Clarkson
    51 Of Mice and Men
    John Steinbeck
    52 Of Love and Other Demons
    Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    53 Why Don't Penguins Feet Freeze?
    New Scientist

Excellent! Well done! What's the plan for 2007??
    I wish i had more time to read to be honest!!

Anyone need an editor? :)

Was that Chomsky book good? I want to buy one of his books but i'm not sure which one to get.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Wow, that some reading. Now review them :)

Seriously, I'd be interested in which were the most memorable ones.

PS Don't let "Of Love and Other Demons" put you off Garcia-Marquez. "100 Years Of Solitude" is a great read.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I found the Chomsky book informative, yet very heavy going. Probably best to take it a chapter at a time between some other books.

It is kind of tough to compare them as there is a mix of various book types in the above list....but sorting through them in a few minutes I came up with the following (will probably have different list tomorrow when I see this again)

The best was:

- Lolita

Some of the best:

- Richard Bransons autobio
    - East of Eden
    - Fear and Loathing
    - Great Gatsby
    - Great Expectations
    - Why Don't Penguins Feet Freeze?
    - Darkness at Noon
    - Bloomberg (not a nice guy but a motivating story)
    - Mr Nice

Some of the worst:

- Green Hills of Africa (..nice writing.. but killing all those animals :eek: )
    - Men are Mars, Women are from Venus
    - The World According to Clarkson

The worst by a mile:

- Of Love and Other Demons
    - The Valkyries

The plan for 2007 is to do the same, a book a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Are you still taking suggestions? If so I shall strongly recommend DBC Pierre's two books, Vernon God Little and Ludmila's broken english. Both will take less than a week if you get into them cause you won't want to stop! Apart from that I've had almost zero reading time for myself this year cause of final year work, but have been reading Hardys Jude the Obscure for nineteenth literature and its great, really well written, interesting subject and has the best aspects of nineteenth century realism without the horrible tediousness of Dickens.

Finally anything by shakespeare is always great, and if you like reading plays perhaps Doubt by John Patrick Shanley? Saw it in the Abbey and got to speak with mr. Shanley as part of a playwriting course in English, what a lovely man!

Lolita: Review on www.biblio.com
    Vladimir Nabokov's notorious, hilarious erotic murder mystery takes the form of a monologue by his hero, Humbert Humbert, as he attempts to justify his love for and obsession with the barely adolescent Dolores Haze, known as Lolita. Humbert's cross-country flight with his adored nymphet ends with her betrayal of him with his rival, the evil Quilty, who pursues Lolita not out of love but out of lust and selfishness, and who functions as a kind of double for the more pure-hearted (if perverse) Humbert. Some critics see Humbert (who, like Nabokov, was a European émigré) and Lolita (the quintessentially vulgar American) as personifications of the Old and New Worlds, one corrupting the other (but which?). One of the astonishing aspects of Nabokov's masterpiece is his dazzling command of English, including puns and wordplay worthy of Joyce. Another is the novel's famously checkered publishing history: LOLITA was rejected, banned, censored, and published underground, and it remained unpublished in the US until 1958.

I just ordered it on Biblio for about 9 euro! (including delivery).
    Thank you for your recommendation! Looks good! :D

Best of luck for your 2007 readathon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I've been inspired to do the same for 2007, though I'm slightly behind as I haven't even started my first one yet. I will tomorrow though, and I'll keep a list so as I can report back with my "findings" at the end of the year.

:)

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I've been inspired to do the same for 2007, though I'm slightly behind as I haven't even started my first one yet. I will tomorrow though, and I'll keep a list so as I can report back with my "findings" at the end of the year.

I wish I had to time to!!
    I think I read 7/8 books one particular week..but that was not having to work and living in my bed reading! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

The "Mona Lisa" of literature. You can keep your Ulysses Mr. Norris!

Came across this recently, probably old news to most here: Novel twist Nabokov family rejects Lolita plagiarism claim.

Also worth mentioning is "Reading Lolita in Tehran" by Nafisi (Have to confess I haven't finished this yet). From Amazon:
    "Threaded into the memoir are trenchant discussions of the work of Vladimir Nabokov, F Scott Fitzgerald, Jane Austen and other authors who provided the women with examples of those who successfully asserted their autonomy despite great odds."

Would also recommend "The Luzhin Defense", which is not just about chess (Nabakov was a keen player of course). Can't find the full quote but this will qive you a flavour:
    "At first it went softly, softly, like muted violins. The players occupied their positions cautiously, moving this and that up but doing it politely . . . and if there was any threat it was entirely conventional – more like a hint to one’s opponent that over there he would do well to build a cover . . . Then without the least warning, a chord sang out tenderly. This was one of Turati’s forces occupying a diagonal line. But forthwith a trace of melody very softly manifested itself on Luzhin’s side also. For a moment mysterious possibilities were quivering, and then all was quiet again."

"Laughter in the Dark" isn't one of his best but is still well worth a read. Who else could get away with starting a novel with "Once upon a time"!

"Once upon a time there lived in Berlin, Germany, a man called Albinus. He was rich, respectable, happy; one day he abandoned his wife for the sake of a youthful mistress; he loved; was not loved; and his life ended in disaster."

Lolita: Review on www.biblio.com
    Vladimir Nabokov's notorious, hilarious erotic murder mystery takes the form of a monologue by his hero, Humbert Humbert, as he attempts to justify his love for and obsession with the barely adolescent Dolores Haze, known as Lolita. Humbert's cross-country flight with his adored nymphet ends with her betrayal of him with his rival, the evil Quilty, who pursues Lolita not out of love but out of lust and selfishness, and who functions as a kind of double for the more pure-hearted (if perverse) Humbert. Some critics see Humbert (who, like Nabokov, was a European émigré) and Lolita (the quintessentially vulgar American) as personifications of the Old and New Worlds, one corrupting the other (but which?). One of the astonishing aspects of Nabokov's masterpiece is his dazzling command of English, including puns and wordplay worthy of Joyce. Another is the novel's famously checkered publishing history: LOLITA was rejected, banned, censored, and published underground, and it remained unpublished in the US until 1958.

I just ordered it on Biblio for about 9 euro! (including delivery).
    Thank you for your recommendation! Looks good! :D

Best of luck for your 2007 readathon!

Advertisement