Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Considering getting a Celica

Options
  • 02-12-2006 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

Hello

I have a merc c200 at the moment, however really like the new celica, any feedback on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

tom-thebox wrote:
    Hello

I have a merc c200 at the moment, however really like the new celica, any feedback on it?

Your better off going to the UK for one. The 1.8 VVTi-L is the one to go for. It has 190bhp compared to the standard 140bhp version and the spec is alot higher than Irish models in general. Things like leather interior, 17" alloys and electric tilt/slide sunroof are hard to find in Irish speced cars.

Of course if going to the UK make sure to have a HPI check done on the car. That will verify the mileage, service history and any crashes the car had in it's past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

What year is the merc? What year are you looking for in the celica? What are you planning on spending?
    They are an excellent car. Handling is exceptional, especially for a FWD. (The only things that might beat it would be hard-core type R integra's with LSD's). The gearbox is the best I've experienced in any car, and thats an exception for Toyota, who usually have fairly clunky 'boxes. Reliability is as you'd expect with Toyota, but on the 190bhp version make sure to change the lift bolts every 2nd service. Harder to find a 190 in good nick for good money too over the 140. Comfort is good, low to get in and out of. Space in the rear seats is for small kids. Boot is decent. Steering is precise and good feedback. Car is very easy to place on the road.
    Overall, probably the best coupe out there for the money, all things considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Biro wrote:
    What year is the merc? What year are you looking for in the celica? What are you planning on spending?
    They are an excellent car. Handling is exceptional, especially for a FWD. (The only things that might beat it would be hard-core type R integra's with LSD's). The gearbox is the best I've experienced in any car, and thats an exception for Toyota, who usually have fairly clunky 'boxes. Reliability is as you'd expect with Toyota, but on the 190bhp version make sure to change the lift bolts every 2nd service. Harder to find a 190 in good nick for good money too over the 140. Comfort is good, low to get in and out of. Space in the rear seats is for small kids. Boot is decent. Steering is precise and good feedback. Car is very easy to place on the road.
    Overall, probably the best coupe out there for the money, all things considered.

My merc is a 99 classic, id be going for maybe a 2005 celica spending between 25 to 30k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

tom-thebox wrote:
    My merc is a 99 classic, id be going for maybe a 2005 celica spending between 25 to 30k
    Ah no no no... you don't want to be doing that... you want to be saving yourself the money and buying my '00 one!! :D

Seriously though, 05 one will be much closer to 30 than 25, but they are a fine handling car, and if you enjoy a good twisty road then you won't regret buying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Beady

Used to have one of these myself. Agree with Biro. Lovely car to drive! You'll notice a few differences compared to the Merc though. Interior is typically Japanese i.e. cheap nasty plastics (or at least that was the case with my 00). Nice low-slung driving position, however probably not so good if you suffer from back problems, or need to regularly get elderly relatives in and out of it. My main grievance with it though was that for a 6 speed gearbox the gearing was very high so you really need to wring its' neck on a "spirited" drive to get the best from the VVTi (on the 140 bhp one at least).I presume they geared it this way to get the best 0-60 time, ruling out the need to change to third on the way.I would guess this is not the case on Japanese imported cars, as they tend to be lower geared compared to irish spec cars. Also has a tendency to use oil when driven hard, not a problem as long as the previous owner kept an eye on the levels.
    If you really enjoy your driving I'd say go for the VVTL-i (190 bhp) version. Once you get the revs up it really goes!! Found this on Carzone http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=499377 think it's a Jap import. If the seller can explain why it only has 1000 miles it could be a cracker. Anyhow happy hunting, hope you find a good one!

• Advertisement
Advertisement