Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New folder problem

• 02-12-2006 4:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I'm just wondering has anybody come across this problem before?
    It now seems that all of my folders have been changed to 'read-only'.
    Even when I create a new folder it's automatically RO. I can uncheck Read-only and apply that to all the files/folders within that folder and then click ok. When I go back into the folder it's still RO.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You sure its actually read only? I mean what you are talking about seems normal to me. Make another folder in there and if you can then its fine.

It might look weird and i cant say i ever paid attention to it but now that i think about it.. its normal :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

If you create a folder there Saruman, is it grayed out RO?
    I only noticed this a day/2 ago. I was trying some php/apache stuff out and can't seem to even see some of the files as they're not chmod'd to 777.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is by design.

A cleared check box on a folder indicates that the read-only status of *all* files in that folder will be cleared, i.e. all files will be writeable even if you try to set one as read-only.

A solid (i.e. black) check means that all files in that folder are read-only, even if you try to set one as writeable..

A grey check doesn't mean that you can't change the read-only attribute, but it does mean that all files/folders within that folder are free to set their own read-only attribute.

You can't chmod items in Windows :)
    The ACL configuration is quite different to the Unix one.

seamus wrote:
    This is by design.

A cleared check box on a folder indicates that the read-only status of *all* files in that folder will be cleared, i.e. all files will be writeable even if you try to set one as read-only.

A solid (i.e. black) check means that all files in that folder are read-only, even if you try to set one as writeable..

A grey check doesn't mean that you can't change the read-only attribute, but it does mean that all files/folders within that folder are free to set their own read-only attribute.

You can't chmod items in Windows :)
    The ACL configuration is quite different to the Unix one.
    The problem is that when I try and change something from RO it won't change.... I know unix is different from windows but I was just trying to show that I need this files not to be just RO.

New folders are writeable by default. If you're creating a folder and then attempting to make it writeable, then you're probably going to get an error because the folder is already writeable.

Are you programming, or something else? Can you give a clearer description of exactly what it is you're trying to do?

• Advertisement

Cheers for the replies Seamus. I'm simply right clicking and creating a new folder. They're automatically being set as grayed out RO - like in the attached pic in my original post...

Yep, that's what supposed to happen. It shouldn't have any bearing on your ability to add stuff to the new folder. You can't set the new folder as writeable because it's already writeable :)

lol it doesn't matter, but thanks anyways!

Advertisement