Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorshow Ireland - What Did You Think?

Options
  • 02-12-2006 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

I went to Motorshow Ireland this morning and I thought it was even worse than last year. It was a real let down after all the hype of this year being different. The only exhibitor that lived up to this hype was Linder's Lotus. They're stand immediately caught my attention thanks to the Dodge Viper SRT-10 and Lotus Europa S. They also have an Exige S and Elise on display.

dsc01085dq2.jpg dsc01092zv0.jpg

The Des Cullen exhibit had the DB9 Volante, Continental GT, Brabus Merc, a few 'Kahn' Range Rover models and the Ferrari 575M that was there last year...what you can see in The Beacon any day of the week really. The Charles Hurst stand had a V8 Vantage and DB9 Volante.

The highlight for me was the exotic replicas!! It was better than the replica stand in Geneva or Paris!! That Lambo body is something else!! You can see all the effort they put into their work!! :rolleyes: Seriously though I can't beleive they had replicas in "the most important Irish car show of the year"

The following is an excerpt from 'InGear' magazine that came with The Sunday Times last week, 26/11.
    This year, Lotus is planning to bring the new Europa S, the first time the diminutive sports car can be seen in Ireland, while a Porsche 911 GT3, Ford GT and Mercedes SLR McLaren will also be on display.

This was the reason I went to the show...I was really looking forward to seeing the new 997 GT3 so you can imagine how I felt when I couldn't find it! The same with the GT and the SLR - nowhere to be seen! The Invicta S1 wasn't there either! Am I the only one that thought they were going to be there? I hope that they're there and I only missed them.

The real highlight for me was the Ferrari F430 I saw on the way home...

dsc01097vc9.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭cayenne

I totally agree AJ. Major disappointment. I was sure the GT and SLR would be there. Apparently they were at the Toys for Big Boys. Would have been better off going to that. Given the amount of interest in cars and the money in the country you'd think they could organise something better. The Viper and Brabus were the highlights for me. Its about time someone organised a show with help from the manufacturers or the importers. It's just a glorified advertising session for Des Cullen etc. I travelled 2 hours from down the country this morning. Saw a murcielago and a RR phantom and a CLS AMG on the way back. Put the show into perspective!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Motorshows in this country are a waste of time tbh, I've traveled to loads of them over the years and have always been disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

cayenne wrote:
    I totally agree AJ. Major disappointment. I was sure the GT and SLR would be there. Apparently they were at the Toys for Big Boys. Would have been better off going to that. Given the amount of interest in cars and the money in the country you'd think they could organise something better. The Viper and Brabus were the highlights for me. Its about time someone organised a show with help from the manufacturers or the importers. It's just a glorified advertising session for Des Cullen etc. I travelled 2 hours from down the country this morning. Saw a murcielago and a RR phantom and a CLS AMG on the way back. Put the show into perspective!

Where did you see those. was it city west hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

THat Dodge Viper came in through my job. I posted pics somewhere in the HWIST thread. It's some machine alright, the sound off it is amazing.

photo0012qv0.th.jpg
    photo0011eh7.th.jpg

Haven't been to the motorshow, I forgot about it TBH, and wont have a chance to go tomorrow, but it doesn't seem to live up to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

I was a bit disappointed now with this show there was a poor selection of car dealers ( VW, BMW, Merc, Toyota, Honda to mention but a few that were missing) There was some chancer selling the invisiable spray for your number plate. Only thing of any interest was the motorcross demo the biker was nearly hitting the roof. The monster truck did one lap of the track made loads of noise and disappeared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I totally agree - complete disappointment

I have been to the Toys4BigBoys for the past few years and thought that this year would be better (given the advertisements) however this was a disappointment except for the motor section (SLR, AM, Ford GT). Saw the lot in 30 mins

I again fell for the advertising for the Motorshow. It starts well when you go in the door as you have Des Cullen with his RR Project Kahns, Brabus D5 Merc, Ferrari 575. Linders also have a decent area as do Hursts with the AM DB9 and a hard and soft top V8 Vantage. Then it really goes down hill with and Opel and Skoda and Nissan area - no disrespect to any of these but they are hadly "exotic" and can be seen in any showroom on any day of the week without having to pay 12 euro.

Beyond that there were a few crappy stalls, a remote control car track, and an area for stunt bikes which I was too early for. The 4x4 course which was advertised as "spectacular" consisted of a few jeeps driving over a few broken pallets and logs - spectacularly crap. In and out within 30 mins

I have often considered going to Paris or Frankfurt or Geneva for one of their motorshows. If I do I hope I am not disappointed like I was today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

TheBazman wrote:

I have been to the Toys4BigBoys for the past few years and thought that this year would be better (given the advertisements) however this was a disappointment except for the motor section (SLR, AM, Ford GT). Saw the lot in 30 mins

I again fell for the advertising for the Motorshow. It starts well when you go in the door as you have Des Cullen with his RR Project Kahns, Brabus D5 Merc, Ferrari 575. Linders also have a decent area as do Hursts with the AM DB9 and a hard and soft top V8 Vantage. Then it really goes down hill with and Opel and Skoda and Nissan area - no disrespect to any of these but they are hadly "exotic" and can be seen in any showroom on any day of the week without having to pay 12 euro.

Beyond that there were a few crappy stalls, a remote control car track, and an area for stunt bikes which I was too early for. The 4x4 course which was advertised as "spectacular" consisted of a few jeeps driving over a few broken pallets and logs - spectacularly crap. In and out within 30 mins

I have often considered going to Paris or Frankfurt or Geneva for one of their motorshows. If I do I hope I am not disappointed like I was today!

what company had the ford gt and slr on display, was it richford?

yeah it was Richford - pics were posted in HWIST

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭coolcon

Im just back from it a while myself and Ive come home feeling the need to organise a proper one myself ! It was craptacular. Last year was better but not good either. If sundays wernt so boring this time of year, I wouldnt have gone at all. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Didn't bother this year cause i've been highly disappointed with the previous years i've gone...seems i made the right decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

TheBazman wrote:

No disrespect meant here, but were you expecting the Irish Exotic Motor Show? Every motor show you go to around the world will have your Opel's, Skoda's, Nissan's or their equivalents on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Also glad I didn't go....was a bit soon after the BigBoysToys and Coolnights shows anyway which both featured a lot of the same stuff anyway.

AlanD wrote:
    No disrespect meant here, but were you expecting the Irish Exotic Motor Show? Every motor show you go to around the world will have your Opel's, Skoda's, Nissan's or their equivalents on display.

I know what you are saying - I suppose I wouldnt have minded the "regular" car makers being there if they brought the cream of their crop, or the odd concept (very highly unlikely in Ireland!). Its just a bit disappointing when you think that there were more impressive cars at the Toys4BigBoys which isnt a motor show at all

Anyway I suppose a lot of us will be wiser next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yeah I saw it was on and knew it would be crap !

Some of my family went, they were amazed when I said I wasn't bothering !

They said it was crap too !

I love being right all the time ! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭bogins

I can see any of those cars in a Dalkey driveway. Why were there microwavable teddy bears at a car show?

The show was run by these money grabbers http://www.pioneershows.co.uk/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

When I saw the attached I knew I was in trouble.

Four hours travel each way (actually three, plus effing Dublin). Never again.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

dahamsta wrote:
    When I saw the attached I knew I was in trouble.

adam

is that tom cruiz?? :D

I didn't make it too the motor show, weather was terribal that day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Did they have a tunnel of goats? :)

Seriously, an Irish Motor Show is bound to be wanky. Anyone going there and expecting great things was either mislead or was a sucker. Just make sure you don't get taken-on twice. At theend of the day the best place to see cars is outdoors and on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

dahamsta wrote:
    Janey mac...I went with my gf, we were in and out of there in 20 minutes. What sucked for us was paying €5 for parking for such a short amount of time.

The show was really poor, I took 1 photo. I'm not going next year!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

el tel wrote:
    LOL :D

Sounds like that would have been better than what they did have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

el tel wrote:

No but they had the Chamber of Farts as featured in South Park:D

Advertisement