Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

condensation on the gas fire

Options
  • 02-12-2006 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

question for anyone in the 2-beds. i dropped my pizza oven fireplace about a year ago now and have noticed that whenever i turn on the fire, there seems to be a good bit of condensation gathering on the marble surround to the top left and right hand corners of the fire unit. (i think it did this before i moved it aswell but i cant remember.)

does anyone know is this normal/usual for a gas fire? the fire itself is working fine but im just a bit wary of water droplets around a gas appliance. the metal frame of the fire does seem to have small gaps in the top 2 corners just because of the way its been made/folded so could be that its just a bit of heat getting out and it seems to dry up after an hour or two. but i wanted to check if anyone else has seen the same thing / knows how to fix it / can tell me if its dangerous or not.

thanks all...:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 CathD

Hi,

Mr CathD here. I too was worried when we lit the gas fire as there would be some condensation around the top of the fire for about 10 mins after we lit it each time. I contacted the manufacturer, and they told me it was perfectly normal for some condensation for a short time. We are in Charlesland Wood, so not sure if they are the same type (i.e. ours is flueless, ground level fire). I think in relation to Carbon Monoxide it is if there is constant condensation around the room? I actually bought a CO alarm in Woodies in Bray as a warning device just in case, and it has never shown any CO levels in the living room.

Hope that helps.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Yes, I'm in the Wood too and have the same gas fire. When I moved in two years ago the first few autumn/winter months when turning on the gar fire it showed the condensation above on the black marble stone. It disappeared after a about 20-30mins obviously depending on if the room heated up much!

I was thinking about getting a CO detector myself cause I'm not such of what is left in relation to exhaust gas in the room. Of course the room is vented with two vents i.e. this is a must for flueless gas fires.

Mr CathD...how much is a CO detector anyways?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 CathD

astrofluff wrote:

Mr CathD...how much is a CO detector anyways?

On mature recollection, it was homebase in Nutgrove where I bought it. I think it cost about €40? It is a Fireangel CO-828.

I remember about a year ago a bloke going around house to house trying to sell those cages that are placed over chimneys to prevent birds nesting in them. I pointed out to him that the fires were flueless, but he didn't understand......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Angel

At least you guys can get your fires to work! I tried and tried last night, no luck.

Advertisement