Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TomTom One - Query

Options
  • 02-12-2006 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭

I bought a TomTom One as a gift in Halfords today - sales guy said it has Irish maps when I picked up the unit it said Great Britain on the front - I went back and asked him and he swears blind it has the Irish maps also - can anyone confirm if this is the case? I checked out the TomTom website it says GB only and also a few other stores I went to said the same I really want to be sure here as it's a present

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

This review doesn't suggest that there are any problems with the Irish mapping: http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single7421

I know that in the past, TomToms maps had very poor/no coverage of Ireland, as they did not use NavTeq maps. The situation may have changed since..

Halford's would usually have demo products available in the shop.. Why not have a play?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

The one on Demo in Halfords had the Irish maps up - but what I'm worried about is that I went to Harvey Normans (right next door) a few minutes before and the guy there told me the unit had GB maps only and that Halfords had the ones with the Irish maps (weird I know!)
    From what I can make out there are three types of TomTom One - Great Britain, Regional (GB & Irl) and Europe - the dummy boxes in Halford's said Regional yet the box they gave me says Great Britain and according to the TomTom website this only covers GB and NI - I can't open it to try it out as it's a gift so I'm relying on this guy to give me the right info.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'd take it out of the box. A few minutes in the open air will verify if it has the Irish maps.. May even be written on the CD.

Thought I'd better so I opened it - SD card says UK and IE - phew!
    Thanks Krusty

• Registered Users Posts: 49 steinberger

hi have you tried out the unit yet?.i am thinking of buying one just wondering if they are any good?.i have read a few mixed reviews about it so still undecided.

• Advertisement

Gave the unit as a present to our boss - he loves it and finds it much better than the Garmin units - plus the maps are more up to date (he drives all over the country so this has been well tested) - is also a much slimmer unit and fits easily in your pocket unlike the equivalent Garmin unit.

But here's the thing - I was so impressed with it I decided to treat myself so I checked up Expansys to see if they had them because it's cheaper plus they take Paypal and I have a few bob lying there from stuff I sold on eBay over the last few weeks.

They had the same unit (TomTom One Great Britain) so I emailed them to check if this too had the Irish maps and was told by reply:

"TomTom do not do coverage for Ireland. You could consider the Garmin
    Nuvi units for Ireland coverage."

Y'see I'm thinking there are a whole lot of stores out there - Expansys, Harvey Normans and a few more who have these GB units and don't realise there are Irish maps included! I can't blame them because the only way to know is to physically open the box and look at the SD card although I would imagine they would at least check this if they are opening a unit for display purposes.

I've replied to them again telling them about this and it'll be interesting to see if they'll bother to check it it out or give me the "Computer says no" attitude!

the plot thickens - no reply from Expansys - spoke to a mate in UK who has one - guess what - it has Irish maps! Just picked one up on eBay for 220 well chuffed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eannakennedy

Advice to all. The TomTom One with UK and Ireland doesn't use Navteq (Think it uses Tele Atlas).

However the TomTom One for Europe uses Navteq (therefore the maps for Ireland on this one uses Navteq not Tele Atlas). Not only that Navteq recently have Version 9 of there software realeased and this has 100% coverage for Ireland. Just bought one today in Halfords for 319 euro (reduced from 399). Reduced yesterday. They are advertising in Halfords for 379 but this is a mistake as they are only 319. They forgot to post the new price.

So my advice is to get the TomTom One for Europe. Another option is the Garmin Nuvi 300 (which also has MP3) for 299.

The guy in Halfords in Naas was great. Explained the differences in detail. It was a toss up between the Nuvi 300 and the TomTom but since it is for my wife he recommended the TomTom as it's way easier to use.

I had a test run today and highly recommend it.

(Note: Another guy bought a Route 66 for half price (reduced from 550 to 250) but I didn't know much about this one)

Regards

According to TomTom Teleatlas have 99% Coverage in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I bought a Tomtom 910 to find the "R" road outside my house wasn't on the map. This is on the Kerry/Limerick border and, as a result of the road not being there, it comes up with some long-winded fuel consuming journey itineraries to get you anywhere. I did research before I bought the gadget but the actual detail of any of the maps provided with this, or any other GPS gadget isn't explained on the manufacturers' websites. According to Tomtom's site, the only world maps the gadget is short of is the one for Australia for €199.95.

It doesn't inspire much confidence if you decide to take off to foreign parts only to find that you also need a road atlas and a compass because half the roads are missing. You'd probably never be seen again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Dont buy the tom tom, i got the tom tom 1 from tesco 3 weeks ago and it also said all of ireland covered:( a lot of the roads are there but outside main towns/citys all you will get is unnamed street unlike the aris which will tell you any towns land. the aris is a much better buy than the tom tom it even uses the same samsung processor and is just as good quality, just look at the thread on it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

The new maps (ver 6.6) have 99% coverage of Ireland . PM me if you need more details .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

got a tom tom 1 for chrimbo , thinks it's legend and has most of the roads in ireland that i would travel on,

even managed to shave 15mins each way off my dublin to clane trip i make every week :):) the way i figure it is its a nav tool and cant have everywhere so i'm not really bothered that it can show you Trim in Meath for example but not the streets in Trim

my map is version 6.6 but out of curiousity does anyone know how much it costs to update your map when you want to?

miju wrote:
    got a tom tom 1 for chrimbo , thinks it's legend and has most of the roads in ireland that i would travel on,

even managed to shave 15mins each way off my dublin to clane trip i make every week :):) the way i figure it is its a nav tool and cant have everywhere so i'm not really bothered that it can show you Trim in Meath for example but not the streets in Trim

my map is version 6.6 but out of curiousity does anyone know how much it costs to update your map when you want to?
    Ver 6.6 isthe latest maps and no newer maps are available at the moment .

I've propose a seperate forum for GPS ( See my post) please support .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

ejmaztec wrote:
    ... but the actual detail of any of the maps provided with this, or any other GPS gadget isn't explained on the manufacturers' websites.
    You can view the detail of the Garmin maps as they would appear in Mapsource from their website:
    Garmin map viewer

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Yeah, the TomTom One series is a bit confusing alright, when it comes to Irish map support. I'm very curious about its actual coverage - I know, for example, that the latest NavTeq maps cover all the townlands in Ireland - does the TomTom One go down to that detail? From what I've read, the TomTom system is more user-friendly but unless it shows you where you are, user-friendliness is not all that good :) If the TomTom Europe version uses NavTeq instead of TeleAtlas, that would be the one to go for but it's an awfully confusing situation when even the sellers aren't sure what is covered...

A good test: does it cover non-R roads (eg, can you look up Teelin in County Donegal?).

I have attatched two images from my GO910 , Whilst it does not have the townland mentioned , detail of nearby Kilcar is good .

I have noticed that when travellin on a route that the townland shows as current lcation even though you cand actually search for it . IE Brownstown near Swords shows , even thoug it is not a searchable item ..

dsc01097ej0.jpg

dsc01098sg5.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

TomTom One GB has TeleAtlas maps of UK and Ireland
    TomTom ONe Europe has Navteq maps of all of Europe including UK and Ireland.

However DO NOT buy the TomTom One GB. THe TeleAtlas maps of Ireland are really bad and miss lots of information, the Navteq maps are far, far superior for Ireland.

I discovered this after doing lots of research on the web after my sisters boyfriend and I went into Harvey Normans to try out the Tomtom. We demoed it and tried a few addresses and it got us right to the door. However on buying one we found it couldn't find most of the addresses, which it could during the demo. On returning to Harveys, we found that the demo unit was the Europe one and the one we bough was the GB unit with the crappy TeleAtlas maps. Happy ending, after a lot of arguing they gave us a TomTom One Europe for the price of the price of the GB unit.

Just FYI, anyway it is handy to have European maps anyway.

bk wrote:
    TomTom One GB has TeleAtlas maps of UK and Ireland
    TomTom ONe Europe has Navteq maps of all of Europe including UK and Ireland.

However DO NOT buy the TomTom One GB. THe TeleAtlas maps of Ireland are really bad and miss lots of information, the Navteq maps are far, far superior for Ireland.

I discovered this after doing lots of research on the web after my sisters boyfriend and I went into Harvey Normans to try out the Tomtom. We demoed it and tried a few addresses and it got us right to the door. However on buying one we found it couldn't find most of the addresses, which it could during the demo. On returning to Harveys, we found that the demo unit was the Europe one and the one we bough was the GB unit with the crappy TeleAtlas maps. Happy ending, after a lot of arguing they gave us a TomTom One Europe for the price of the price of the GB unit.

Just FYI, anyway it is handy to have European maps anyway.

This is dependant on which version of the maps your system is updated to .The TeleAtlas Version 660.15246 are the most up to date at the moment and are "streets" ahead of the navteq maps .(Forgive the pun)..

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

sharkman wrote:
    This is dependant on which version of the maps your system is updated to .The TeleAtlas Version 660.15246 are the most up to date at the moment and are "streets" ahead of the navteq maps .(Forgive the pun)..

http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com/cfl?Language=EN&ClientId=MapInsight&PlaceFindCountry=IRL&PlaceFindAdministrativeArea=
    having taken the disclaimer into account
    is this V660 thats shown on their site. It has copyright 2006, dont know which release though. The coverage shown here is not anywhere near navteq so just curious?
    I believe TA have us mapped and some of their fleet was over here last year.

field-survey.jpg
    ..similar to.

• Advertisement

My Apologies , it appears that Western Europe V660.1256 is in fact by NavTeq .:o :o

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, so lets just clarify so there isn't any confusion.

If you are getting a TomTom One for Ireland get the European model, do NOT get the GB or GB and Ireland version.

The reason is the European one uses Navteq maps that are far superior to the TeleAtlas Maps used in the GB and Ireland version.

Queried coverage with TomTom unbelievably this was their first reply:

"Thank you for your question regarding TomTom Maps of Ireland. TomTom is always investigating the possibility of adding new countries. TomTom will do so when the digital map data is of a satisfactory quality. At this moment there is very little road data. TomTom only wants to supply its customers with the highest quality possible. We will release the product for Ireland when Tele Atlas has enough coverage, e.g. 96%. Currently we have some map data of Ireland. This is including some areas of Cork, Dublin, and Galway along with the major roads data.

When we decide to include the Republic of Ireland we will announce this on the web site. May we ask you to please keep an eye on our website in the months to come?"

I replied pointing out their product is already for sale in Ireland and that the box clearly states "Great Britain and Republic of Ireland" and back of the box says "Door to door mapping to anywhere in Great Britain and Republic of Ireland" and got this response:

"TomTom would like to clarify that the Tom Tom regional device is specific to the region of Grat Britain covering this area by 99%, we have added the currently available Ireland data provided to us from our map provider as an added bonus. The current data on your device covers the Northern section by 80 % of Ireland and the Southern section mainly the major road network. We are currently awaiting more data from our map provider Tele atlas."

I replied again and received a customer satisfaction survey which would indicate they have ignored me and closed the case. Gits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Chancer3456

There is no need for any queries/confusion. It has been said on this thread a number of times, The TomTom One V2 with Europe mapping is the ONLY TomTom unit of any description which has full coverage of Rep. of Ireland.

might as well ask this here rather than starting a new thread , i downloaded a software update and installed it on my TomTom ONE and now everytime it starts it says "please wait" and wont go from that screen

have tried to reset it a few times but getting the same problem , anyone any experience of this or similiar problems?

miju wrote:
    might as well ask this here rather than starting a new thread , i downloaded a software update and installed it on my TomTom ONE and now everytime it starts it says "please wait" and wont go from that screen

have tried to reset it a few times but getting the same problem , anyone any experience of this or similiar problems?

Can you post a pictureof the screen ?

not at the mo cos i'm in work but will do when i'm home , i was thinking it could be the SD card or something to do with the little white tab at the side of it but have tried resetting in both postitions adn no joy :(:(

Try a "soft" reset on the unit . did you use TT Home to update ?

yeah did with TT home and when it told me to disconnect and restart my TT i did that and the problem started , by soft reset i presume you mean trough TT home?

how do i do that , is that by using the restore option on backups you've made?

thanks for the suggestions so for btw sharkman

• Advertisement

No there is a smallbutton on the bottom of the unit ! Just beside the SD card slot .

The answer from TT ::::

If your TomTom GO/ONE/RIDER is frozen, won’t turn on or does not behave as it should it can be fixed by yourself by resetting or restarting your TomTom device.
    A reset will not delete any data from your device, with exception for SMS messages on TomTom GO500/700.

1. Connect your GO/ONE/RIDER to the power charger
    If you have a power charger, use it to power your TomTom GO/ONE/RIDER. If you do not have a power charger, make sure that the battery in your TomTom GO/ONE is fully charged.
    Note: You need to charge your GO/ONE for at least 2 hours using the 12-24V cigarette lighter adapter.

2. Reset your GO/ONE/RIDER
    To reset the unit, you simply have to push a straightened paper clip (or something similar) into the RESET hole on the device.

Advertisement