Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

V-Groove Laminate Flooring

Options
  • 02-12-2006 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭

Hi, we were looking to put down v-groove rustic oak laminate flooring in our sitting room and front hall. Woodies have it at €27 per square yard, would need about 40 square yards. Has anyone put this down? Does it look nice? Is there anyone else supplying it? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tap28

OMG, that is an outrageous price for laminate flooring, you could get solid oak flooring for that money. Much better quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Neverends

We have v groove (Balterio brand) laminate in one area and solid oak in another area of our house. Oak looks better but I'm glad we have laminate in dining room area so we don't have to worry about chairs scratching it etc. I'd prob go with solid oak everywhere though if you don't have kids cos it looks nicer. Laminate - even V groove stuff does look very "flat" compared to the wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we have it in throughout our house - think its the balterio range.

Looks good, obviously not as good as real wood, but if you have kids it is much much more durable, easier to clean etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cassind1

I fit flooring for a living and that is a scandalious price i can supply and fit V groove with all the scotias for 32 Euro a square yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Yup, that's an awful price. I got some for 9.99 a yard about 6 months ago in Doors and Floors. It might not have been as nice as yours, but it was pretty nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

IF its QuickStep then thats a good price. I have Quick step flooring 950 Vgroove

Attached are a couple of pics

Garyh3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

Yeah, we have the Quickstep V-groove (bevel on all 4 sides) in the living room and hall and I think it looks pretty good compared to standard 'flat' laminate.

Very hard wearing and scratch resistant - we have 2 smallies and a solid floor would have been ruined by now (I speak from experience). In another few years, I intend replacing the laminate with solid or semi-solid but for now, it's grand.

Price-wise, €27/yd. is ok for Quickstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Thanks for the replies. I have seen some v-groove oak in atlantic homecare for 14.50 per square yard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cassind1

14.50in Atlantic does that inc the foam and trims if it does'nt it is still dear and my price to supply and fit fromthe earlier thread is still a better deal.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭elqu

You know I have just moved from a house where I had put down a junckers solid maple floor - it got 4 yrs of very hard wear and there wasn't a scratch on it. Granted it was V expensive but you can nearly always get it at about €40- €50 sq yd somewhere and it is an extraordinarily good product. Bit over produced looking maybe. I have put down a solid walnut floor in new hse (c €45 sq yd - had to have walnut and the junckers one was not on sale) and it is already scratched - we're only about 3 wks in! guess it shows more as the wood is dark...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭elqu

Ginger83 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. I have seen some v-groove oak in atlantic homecare for 14.50 per square yard.

If you're prepared to pay up to €27 why don't you check out brooks - they always have good deals on solid flooring, you can definitely get it for that kind of money. And there is just no comparison in looks and the feel of it when you walk on it. Don't think kids have that much of an impact on it either! Different if you've exposed soft pine that you've finished off. But then a bit of wear looks good anyway. And they can always be refinished. Laminate just has to be thrown away. Awful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭PRman

theres a place called floor design on the kylemore road. you can get balterio there for around 12-14 euro a square yard. nearly half the price of woodies. just found out recently I got ripped off on my floor by Dessie Kiernans... could have saved myself 400 euro :(

Advertisement