Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window for shed

Options
  • 02-12-2006 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭

I am in the process of having a concrete shed built in my back garden. It has already eaten much more money than I had expected . I have a space for a window 2ft6" / 70cm square in it. Yesterday I rang around to price a window of this size and found to my horror that they are very expensive . I was quoted E440 for a wooden window frame with a top opening, glass and fitting not included, and E260 for frame with no opening. I am at a loss to know where else to look for this window. I have no idea what sort of price to expect and also no idea where other than a joinery to source a window. Does anyone have any idea where I might look for such a thing and if the price I was quoted is reasonable ? Any opinion would be gratefully recieved. Thanks for reading !:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

If you haven't already left the space for the window then go buy a second hand window first - you'll find them at markets, oddball shops etc and you should be able to pick up one at a fraction of the cost you were quoted for a new one.
    Then build the wall around the window...

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Beach Head

Had the same trouble a few years ago. Temporarily got out of it by making my own window.

Bought 3 X 1.5 planed all over timber. Cut to make a square frame in the opening. Bought heavy duty perspex and cut with a hand saw to fit inside the frame. Used one lenght of door stop to hold the perspex in place.

Total cost about € 50

When it was finished, I did not bother trying to source a "proper" window.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

B&Q stock windows off the shelf, it's a good while since I priced one but I think they were reasonable then, also any window manufacturer will have a good stock of windows that couldn't be fitted because of some error, you could check around. The other thing is to collar a window fitter on his own, they often bring home good windows that they have taken out when fitting a replacement and they sell them off cheap.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 44 KILRB

Second hand window is the way to go, have a look in buy and sell.
    Incidently, how muxh is the she costing you. I am interested in building a shed but really have no clue how much to budget.
    Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Thanks a million for the replies everyone. I looked into second hand windows but have come up with nothing as 70cm square is not a very regular size and as the shed is built there is little I can do about it now.
    However there was light at the end of the tunnel today . After chasing up every other source of windows I could think of I eventually called a guy out of my local paper who does PVC windows. He said he'd supply and fit a double glazed unit with an opening for E120. Its more than I had ever intended paying for a shed window but at least its less than
    E440! Im semi happy :)

KILRB : The labour for the shed has cost me E1500 and materials have now cost in and around E1000 not including the window or door. Its 3m X 3m and has a hip roof. It's a small garden shed for a lawnmower and assorted junk. I'd strongly recommend you wait until spring time before you undertake building your shed. The combination of construction and the bad weather has left my garden an absolute disaster zone ! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement