Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired GPS receiver, suitable for simple survey

Options
  • 02-12-2006 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi

I am travelling to italy over the holidays and will be helping a friend out by doing a quick survey of some fairly inaccessible land. The survey is not going to be used for anything serious, more to get an idea of the levels and boundaries. Would a Wired GPS receiver with USB attached to a laptop be able to handle this? Would it be possible to use one of these devices and extrapolate co-ordinates?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sure. Should work fine..

I'd imagine that if the area is a little inaccessible, a dedicated GPS receiver (with an internal battery) might be a better option, so you don't have to lug a laptop around the place.

Just be aware, that altitude data is an approximation, unless the GPS receiver has a built-in altimeter. Co-ordinates should be a doddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruamar

Thanks, I was hoping for that. It shouldn't be too bad for the laptop, I'll just be bringing an old x1 so I can just stick it in a small backpack and the levels won't be that important as long as I can measure the rise and fall of the land

Advertisement