Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing Skirtings

Options
  • 03-12-2006 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all.

I'm about to fix new skirtings in an upstairs bedroom.

I was planning to fix them by nailing to the two plasterboard walls and using rawl plugs and screws for the two concrete walls. A mate suggested using an adhesive.

Can anyone recommend a suitable adhesive or should I just fix them in the traditional way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

for the concrete walls use gripfill adhesive and a few 3x50 mm steel nails,should do the job grand

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

SoBe wrote:
    for the concrete walls use gripfill adhesive and a few 3x50 mm steel nails,should do the job grand
    I was kinda hoping to use either adhesive or nails/screws - not both. But if what you recommend gives a tight fit then maybe thats the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

the good thing about using gripfill is you will get a great hold with only having to use a couple of nails,just be carefull while hammering them as not to mark the skirting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

If they are drylined with plasterboard then can you not see the wood battens the boards are fixed to at bottom? Mark them with a pencil mark just above the height of skirting so you know where the battens are to hit home the nails....Or better still screw them.

Any gaps on top between walls and skirting use decorators caulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I can see the wooden battens on the dry lined walls (2). The other two walls are plastered 9" cavities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

"No more Nails" (according to the brother).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Well as suggested no more "No more nails" but nail in some masonary nails on soild walls as well to be sure.

Hows tricks btw? All ready for Xmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Plug the block walls with "nail plugs". On dry lined walls nail straight to battens. Use oval nails. If you have to remove it the wood can come over the nail head. They'll all using "no more nails" and the suchlike, but imo i don't like it. Can be difficult to undo. A few nail alone should do, it not structural. Yoy only it to stant up
    t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

I'd reckon no-more-nails would be fine if you're never removing it again , but i think you need to stick it to unpainted surfaces ? otherwise you are only sticking it to paint and depending on the paints grip to the wall.Maybe also spray all your skirtings/doorframes before go on , it should turn out well and save time

Advertisement