Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car ,5000 kilometers in the last 6 weeks

Options
  • 03-12-2006 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking I should change the oil in the car ,wondering how much to expect to have to pay the garage for doing an oil change and filter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

_Brian_ wrote:
    I'm thinking I should change the oil in the car ,wondering how much to expect to have to pay the garage for doing an oil change and filter.

Just go down the motorfactors, buy an oil filter, whatever amount/grade of oil it takes, an adapter for the sump plug and an oil filter removal tool and DIY. If you bring it to the garage they'll basically charge you whatever the feel like I know one charges e150 just for an oil change.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

is the first oil change not included in the purchase price??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Just go down the motorfactors, buy an oil filter, whatever amount/grade of oil it takes, an adapter for the sump plug and an oil filter removal tool and DIY. If you bring it to the garage they'll basically charge you whatever the feel like I know one charges e150 just for an oil change.

if you want to maintain the warranty, you might need the dealer to do it.........read the small print first............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Thanks for the replies ,I want to look after it as best I can ,it's suppose to get an oil change at 20,000 kilometers.
    I'm not waiting till then ,the oil is dead now as far as I can tell.
    The car is getting a little noisey so I started putting shell vpower in it ,just in case I'm starting to char the inside of the engine.

I just thought it best to get it done at the garage and ask them to make sure everything is alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

What make/model is the car?

Don't change the oil unless it's a manufacturer recommended service interval. Just keep an eye on the oil level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

_Brian_ wrote:

I'm not waiting till then ,the oil is dead now as far as I can tell.

Oil will go black after a few thousand k. Nothing strange about that, the oil is still doing its job.
    _Brian_ wrote:
    The car is getting a little noisey so I started putting shell vpower in it ,just in case I'm starting to char the inside of the engine.

If the car is getting noisey after 5k neither the oil nor expensive petrol from shell will solve anything. You wont "char" the inside of the engine, nor will shell's fancy marketing campaigns help stop this.

If the manufacturer recommends 20k, you can be sure they know better than anyone here on boards.ie. Some do it more often, myself included, but this is more to do with neurosis than anything else. If you have never changed oil in a car before, or seen it being done, don't bother. If the car is under warranty, don't bother (unless you are going to get it done every 20k by the main dealer and just like to do it in between yourself)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

galwaytt wrote:
    if you want to maintain the warranty, you might need the dealer to do it.........read the small print first............

There is no reason to bring it to the dealer from a warranty point of view. Under Euro block exemption regulations the warrenty will not be effected once parts of equal quality are used and it is serviced as per the schedule.

If there is any "small print" anywhere that states otherwise then it is illegal and should be pointed out to the powers that be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I agree with maidhc completely. Unless you are some sort of chemical engineer with expertise in engine oil, then quite how you know the oil is 'dead', i'm not sure.

It would actually be in car manufacturer's interest (financially) to say an oil change is needed every 5k, so if it was in any way needed, you can be assured that's what they would recommend.

Thanks for the replies again ,when I say the oil is dead ,I don't know what I'm talking about and it's just an expression of how I feel on it.
    It does say that if the car is used for towing or used on mountainous routes ,then the oil should be changed every 5000km or 6 months.
    Because it's a new car ,I would presume the first 5000Km are the cars most strenuous.

I've decided it best to get a garage to do it .
    I'd like to know how much it should be ?,so that I can be comfortable handing the money over .

Cheers,
    Brian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Because a new engine needs to be broken in, quite often the manufacturers put in a special oil in the factory. It's critical that this oil is left in for as long as it is supposed to be. From the 1st oil change on a regular oil can be used.

Did you read the manual? I'm sure all the info you need is in there.

• Advertisement

As I've said ,it states you should change the oil every 5000km if there is a lot of driving done on it.

I've thrawled through the net and have seen that honda's own oil is the best oil for vtec engines. It's also the oil that would be in the engine from the start.
    The oil in the engine was very clean until I topped up with some havoline oil and then within a couple of days the oil turned black.

Ok, well you've only just told us its a Honda, and afaik Honda do not use special oil for the factory fill.

Are you doing a lot of towing or using mountainous routes? If no, wait till the change is normally due.

Thanks JHMEG ,it's probably just me thinking things.
    Theres never any noise when I drive at some pace ,I read up on the new vtec 1.8 and it said that the valves are wide open when taking off . This was the noise I was worried about, I thought it was the camshaft not been able to get rid of the exhaust fumes quick enough ,but it has two exhaust pipes .

Cheers for all the replies ,I won't worry about it .

No worries.

Going on that I presume 2 x tail pipes + 1.8 VTEC = new Civic?

As a long term Honda owner (presently an Accord and an Integra), don't worry about it. Honda engines are pretty much bomb-proof.

Just don't hammer it till the engine, and therefore the oil, are fully warmed up, and always use Honda oil filters which are not much more expensive (but far better quality) than no-name ones.

A good 10w40 (or better) SS oil is fine to use. I wouldn't use something like 0w20 though... that's reserved for the Civic IMA and will "go through" a normal engine (ie it won't last).

once again thanks for the info ,it's the new civic alright .
    It's taken a while to get use to the car ,but the rev counter is excellent for driving on quiet country roads ,very easy to glance at it :D

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Thats going to be next car, i cant wait.

kluivert wrote:
    Thats going to be next car, i cant wait.

The handling on the civic ,i.e the steering ,is amazing on the hatchback .
    It will turn into any corner and even turn some more if a cat jumps out :D
    It's as if the front wheels are behind you when you are turning.

Advertisement