Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what graphics card to get for dvb-s2?

Options
  • 03-12-2006 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

Im getting a dell e520 desktop and it comes with just a " 256MB ATI Radeon X1300 PRO " . I want to get a dvb-s2 satellite card soon if it is possible to use one with a e6300 processor and a better graphics card. I dont intend to play games on the pc at all so im looking for a cheapish but powerful enough to help view hdtv. Anyone know what sort of card i should get? or am i wasting my time.

or does anyone know if any hardware decoding dvb-s2 cards are coming out?

ps: as i want to replace the x1300 that comes with it, would i get anything at all on ebay/adverts for it, or is it no use since it's taken from a pc with no box etc or should i just stick it in an old pc if possible.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Your graphics card doesn't have any bearing on DVB-S2 unless the application you use can makes use of GPU assisted video decoding.

I don't keep tabs on the DVB scene but as far as I'm aware none of them do and the only GPU accelerated video on offer is from Cyberlink, Nero and Intervideo. Cyberlinks does support directshow so it can be used with other players is that what your planning on doing ?

Forgoing the GPU your Core 2 Duo + CoreAVC Pro should be fine for decoding any H.264 streams and the Core 2 Duo should handle HD MPEG-2 without issue.

Advertisement