Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog walking companion

Options
  • 03-12-2006 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi all

I have a 16 month neutered westie, loves everybody and gets on well with other dogs. What I'm wondering is do other women find walking their dogs alone in the dark evenings a bit scary? I know I do, tho it's only around our pretty big estate and I always bring a torch and mobile phone.

I live in Bray, and would like to be able to bring him to the seafront, like I do mornings & weekends or anywhere else that's relatively safe about 7-8pm.

My husband works shifts so cant accompany me and doggie loves his minimum three walks a day.

Anyway, if there are any other women in the area or thereabouts interested in meeting up with their dog for evening walks, I'd feel a lot safer, especially whan we run into large groups of lads as often happens.

Hope I'm lucky with this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

if I were you I'd post up on Petsireland as well I know there are a few people from out that direction there :) I don't enjoy walking my 2 in the dark as much as I do in the summer but am too far away to be of any use in meeting you with you sorry :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Goffie

Thanks, Tabitharose, I'll give that a shot and maybe have some results,

It's not the end of the world if I don't, but I just feel there's safety in numbers and my doggy is all mouth and trousers - would run a mile from any serious threat, I'd imagine - luckily no incidents bar shouting or whistling so far.

He'll bark like a dog demented but I'm more afraid someone would try to snatch him from me as he'd be easy to sell, tho microchipped. I've heard what can they do about that....:eek: he's never off the lead in the dark just to be on the safe side.

And I refuse to deprive the dog of his exercise and feel intimidated by bored yobs.

Hey Tabitharose - I registered with petsireland but I really can't see a suitable forum to put my post in as they're all lost and found, or rescue, and the general one is only for issues to do with posting on the board, eg downsizing photos.

Any suggestions where it could logically be put?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

down towards the end there's a forum called the dew drop inn you could put it there - or in the welcom - introduce yourself bit either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I know what you mean, it can be uncomfortable out on your own at night. But I have a bit of an advantage, my dog is a Norwegian Elkhound so I feel safe with her. She's harmless, wouldn't hurt a fly but she can be a little off-putitng as she is wolf coloured and wolf shaped! Perfect!
    Hope you find someone to accompany you on your walks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

Goffie wrote:
    Hi all

doggie loves his minimum three walks a day.

Sorry but dogs have to fit around me, I work from home and could walk my 2 (springer spaniel and jack russell x) for 3 hours a day if I had the time but they get one walk, 1/2 hr usually round the woods or park, not even that if its pouring with rain. I just tell them they've already been.

I'm lucky I suppose, I have a decent sized garden they can run around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭popppy

Hiya Goffie,
    Where abouts in Bray are you ? I walk my dog in the Peoples Park or down on the beach or sometimes just around my estate and then a run on the green, I would be into walking with you but think that my lab x would be soooooo excited to have a buddy to walk with that he would want to be off the lead. As it is, he pulls the arm off me for the first 10 mins of any walk !!!! He had to have a hip replacement op last May, so his walks were limited in a big way, esp off the lead, so he's become a little less sociable than before when all he wanted to do was play with any dogs he met. Don't get me wrong though, he's not an agressive dog !!
    I'd be up for giving it a try if you are, so let me know what you think :)

Hi Poppy

Have pm'd you - hope to hear back :)

Any more Bray people out there???? :D

Goffie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭popppy

Hiya goffie,
    Never recieved your pm, maybe try again :)

Sorry!! Sent it to the wrong Poppy - one in caps.

I've sent you another tho not as long as first as I was in a hurry.

Look forward to hearing from you :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement