Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing for 10k Race Next Sunday

• 03-12-2006 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭

What would people advise? I just did the 5k Jingle Race today and completed it in 20mins 50secs. Everyday this week (except Saturday), I ran 3.4k in 15mins on the treadmill. Am I doing too much or too little?
    On the day of the race what/when would people advise that I eat/drink?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

Thats good going fletch, and congrats on your 5k time. If it was me I would like to get in a longer run before the day tho, maybe an 8k so you know what the distance will do to you and what pace you can manage.
    As for the food I would try to have a nice amount of pasta the day before and just my usual breakfast in the morning (cereal, fruit, juice, coffee) plus a few extra bananas. Thats just what I like and what I am used to tho :)

Good luck next Sunday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Agreed - nice 5k time, especially considering the vicious head wind when the race turned left off the main Phoenix Park road, and the climb out of the Furry Glen in the last 1km.
    With that 5k time you should be fine over 10k. There is no harm in bumping the training distance up as fade2che suggests. I've been doing similar 5k training - I plan a longer run tomorrow morning and then back to 5k distances for my subsequent training.
    Don't forget to take Friday and Saturday off so that you're not over-trained come Sunday.

Sure, you can always do the Aware 10k the following weekend in the Phoenix Park if the Port Tunnel one doesn't go perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Kool thanks for the advice guys! I did the Simon Community Race(8k) in 35mins dead so I was kinda hoping for a better time over the 5k but ah well.
    How much of a break would you recommend not eating before the race? I ate 2 hours before but still got a stitch half way through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The "event" this week is not really a race even though it is advertised as such. I know a number of people who are walking and I'd imagine there will be a lot more. There is a curiosity factor about it and the time you get might not completely reflect your own PBs to date but good luck anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

try to have last "meal" about 3 hours before the race. Something like porridge that will have left your stomach by the start. If you want a energy boost, sip on sports drink (or diluted fruit juice)

• Advertisement

try to have last "meal" about 3 hours before the race. Something like porridge that will have left your stomach by the start. If you want a energy boost, sip on sports drink (or diluted fruit juice)
    Its kind of annoying with the race starting so early....a 3 hour break means I'll have to be up before 8pm (on a Sunday :eek: :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭jlang

Out of interest, what was the route for the 5k yesterday? Presumably based around the lap including the Papal Cross?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭daymobrew

jlang wrote:
    Out of interest, what was the route for the 5k yesterday? Presumably based around the lap including the Papal Cross?
    No, it was Upper Glen Road, Furze Road, Chesterfield Ave, Ordnance Road, Lower Glen Road. Here is a map of the route.
    fletch wrote:
    I did the Simon Community Race(8k) in 35mins dead so I was kinda hoping for a better time over the 5k but ah well.
    At 35mins for 8k, your 5k time would be 21:52. You beat by 1:03. That's good!

jlang wrote:
    Here ya go.....
    racelc4.th.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭jlang

Cheers! (fletch & daymobrew) I had been thinking of running the race, but when I got down remembered I'd no money with me and just did my own thing. Saw the 2km marker but the race had passed by already. I saw people after the finish with their Santa hats. My own thing turned out to be about 6miles around Chesterfield Ave and the back of the Aras and Zoo etc. I'd never run that far or long (1hr1min) or in such awful wind/rain before, but I now reckon I'll be grand for the Tunnel run next week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement