Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on Tat

Options
  • 03-12-2006 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hey guys I'm looking to get this tatoo on my arm/shoulder quite soon;

11.jpg

its the 3 legs of mann. I've done some research, and it is kind of a type of swazica, just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this. Would people find this offensive on the continent? :(

Also the thin detail lines in the legs are likely to smudge right?

Any input is appreciated, thanks guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

here ya go buddy, http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Swastika
    have a gander at that. Some people would take offense but people in the know wouldnt, which i supose would be quite few.

they will smudge when you get alot older but that happens to all tattoos. hopefully someone will clarify this, not too sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

This is very similar to the triskele that I wear on my right forearm, most people like it a lot.

In fairness check in to the swastika, it's a very cool symbol if you take away all the Nazi crap, and it's our duty as people who understand this to educate the masses and take the symbol back from the nazis and give it back to the pagans and the hindus where it belongs.

Check out http://www.manwoman.net/ , he's doing his best to reeducate people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Theres more info on it. Not a swastiki per say, has been used by many different groups. First thing I thought of was Isle of Mann.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triskelion
    Taken from that page.
    "The Third Reich adopted the Celtic triskelion as the insignia for a Waffen SS division composed of ("Celtic") Belgian volunteers. That has led to an association with the swastika. It is claimed, possibly apocryphally, that the similarity to the swastika caused confusion or distress amongst some Jewish refugees interned on the Isle of Man during World War 2."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Theres more info on it. Not a swastiki per say, has been used by many different groups. First thing I thought of was Isle of Mann.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triskelion
    Taken from that page.
    "The Third Reich adopted the Celtic triskelion as the insignia for a Waffen SS division composed of ("Celtic") Belgian volunteers. That has led to an association with the swastika. It is claimed, possibly apocryphally, that the similarity to the swastika caused confusion or distress amongst some Jewish refugees interned on the Isle of Man during World War 2."

eh no, it's an old pagan sun/power symbol, same as the hindu swastika, wiki is just a collection of fools with ill-informed opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Blub2k4 wrote:
    eh no, it's an old pagan sun/power symbol, same as the hindu swastika, wiki is just a collection of fools with ill-informed opinions.
    shouldnt have added the quote, was just wondering why any one would make some Nazi assumption about the tatt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

I have heard this story before, and that's mainly what got me thinking about this. The last thing I wanna do is upset people with a symbol, I know its stupid and maybe I shouldn't care, but some people do, ya know.

I'd say I'll just end up getting it, with a few changes to make it look more manx. Thanks for all the input!

Advertisement