Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windy Wooden Fence

Options
  • 03-12-2006 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative to a solid wooden fence as a boundary in an estate.
    I'm looking out at my very windy garden at the moment and there are 5 panels down today between me & my neighbour with the strong breeze.
    This is a regular occurance in VERY STRONG wind (like today).
    Are the lattice type ones better cos the wind can get through them??? Or is the only alternative a solid wall??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's a type of fencing called "hit and miss", where the vertical slats are staggered on each side of the fence with a slight overlap. We've got them on one side and they're pretty impervious to strong winds.

See the top of this page .. http://www.abwood.ie/products/fencing/fencing2.html

On the other side we've got the standard el-cheapo shiplap stuff and it's nothing but trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Friend of mine opted for concrete wall and he got four neighbours in on it so they got a good deal on building all the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'll second Alun with the hit and miss. They are far better than the lattice fences. As they are stronger and provide more privacy. The boards can be stacked vertical or horizontal, and a good quaility fence will look very well imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

Yeah I had seen the hit & miss one on the Abwood website & wondered what they'd have been like on a day like today.
    Let me put it to you like this ... did they stand up to the wind today & would your old fence on that side have gone down today??
    Just the thoughts of the work & expense that would go into even a block wall frighten me. Plus with the concrete posts already up it would mean trying to knock them before getting anything else started.
    Just one moe question ... are the hit & miss ones any thicker than the standard fence?? I mean will they just slide into the same groove on the concrete posts??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

netopia wrote:
    Yeah I had seen the hit & miss one on the Abwood website & wondered what they'd have been like on a day like today.
    Let me put it to you like this ... did they stand up to the wind today & would your old fence on that side have gone down today??
    Just the thoughts of the work & expense that would go into even a block wall frighten me. Plus with the concrete posts already up it would mean trying to knock them before getting anything else started.
    Just one moe question ... are the hit & miss ones any thicker than the standard fence?? I mean will they just slide into the same groove on the concrete posts??
    Yes, they stood up to today's wind, no problem at all .. they let the wind through the staggered gaps between the slats, so there's less wind pressure on them. The shiplap ones on the other side of the garden fared less well :( The concrete posts are identical on both sides of the garden, with the same sized groove in them .. seems to be a standard size.

• Advertisement

Thats good to know, I'll discuss all this with my neighbour .... through the gap in the fence.
    I think in general on this estate the fencing was put up quiet well. I cant see any other fence around with panels down.
    Just my neighbour & I have the biggest gardens & there's room for the wind to build up before it hits the obstacle of this particular fence between us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭serotonin_sam

netopia wrote:
    Just my neighbour & I have the biggest gardens & there's room for the wind to build up before it hits the obstacle of this particular fence between us.
    Kind of have a similar situation. Mine and next door get hit every time but the rest are ok.

Just wondering...

The house was signed off approx. 8 months ago. Can I still get the builder back to put this right?
    (a few of them blew down just before signoff and I made them put it right. A couple months later and there were gaps opening - which meant the panels werent being held in place. they came back and stuck on bits of wood on the ends of the panels to keep them in place).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Parents had the same prob, simply solved with a 24" cable tie, drill a small hole in the laths at the top on either side of the conc post and secure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭serotonin_sam

KAGY wrote:
    Parents had the same prob, simply solved with a 24" cable tie, drill a small hole in the laths at the top on either side of the conc post and secure!
    Not a bad improvised solution KAGY. Will give it a try.

Thats an excellent idea

• Advertisement

By the way ..... where did they get the 24" ties???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

netopia wrote:
    By the way ..... where did they get the 24" ties???
    Uncle works in Electrical Wholesalers, but I'm sure you could get them in Peats or possibly in a good hardware store. I think they where about 8-10mm wide

quick check of irish net sites:
    http://www.smallwares.ie/html/cableties.htm
    http://www.radionics.ie

Alternatively, wait until the general election and nick them off the election posters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Advertisement