Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running a windows xp repair without the OS CD

• 03-12-2006 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A friend of mine is having trouble with a Dell with Windows XP. Theres an error coming up on boot that basically says its missing required windows files. I want to run the windows repair facility but in their wisdom, Dell never shipped the OS CD in the first place.

I know theres a key sequence on boot that leads you into the reformat option but theres a lot of data on the PC that needs to be kept so its the repair option Im after.

Can anyone tell me the solution to this, or is there something else I can do? (i.e. replace the missing windows files somehow?)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Post in the Windows forum.

Post the exact error.

Blatantly 'borrowed' from somewhere... Depends on the supplied Windows setup & Personally, I never trust a repair.

Step 1

Click Start, point to Programs, Accessories and then click Windows Explorer.

Browse to the following location: c:\windows\i386.
    Double-click winnt32.exe.

An error message appears saying: The option to upgrade will not be available at this time.......- Click OK.

The Windows Setup wizard starts - Click Next.

Select the check box in front of I accept this agreement.
    Click Next.

Type the product key that appears on the lower section of your Certificate of Authenticity.

Select the relevant language and region from the drop-down box.

Click Next.

On the Upgrading to the Windows XP NTFS File System window, you will be asked to upgrade to NTFS - Select the check box next to No, skip this step since you want to repair Windows XP.

NOTE: Upgrading to NTFS can be done at later stage.

On the Get Updated Setup files window, select the relevant check box that you want - Click Next.

Installation will start

Your computer will restart.

While restarting your computer if you or other users are still using any of the applications, you will get an error message saying: You are restarting this computer while there are other users still using it......, in this case close and save all the running applications and click Yes.

Step 2

After you have restarted your computer, a boot menu appears with a new option : XP Setup - Let the timer count down or select Microsoft Windows XP Pro Setup.

Select the relevant setup option that you want and press ENTER.

XP will detect the previous installation and propose to repair it - Press R to repair the existing installation.

First, the hard disk drive of your VAIO will be checked and then Setup will copy files to the installation folders - After having finished copying your computer will restart.

Step 3 :

Installation/repair of Windows will start in Graphical mode.

On the Regional and Language Options window select the relevant region and language that you want. To change the settings, click Customize.

Click Next.

Network will be installed - Click Next.

Setup will continue configuring, creating startup items and registering components.

You are prompted for Windows Product Activation - Select yes to start activation by phone or modem.

Step 4 :

Upgrade/reinstall your display adapter using your application CD.

NOTE: It is recommended to backup your data at this time, though this is not always possible. Therefore, it is important to backup your data regularly. Now, you again have full access to your computer.

You have now successfully repaired your Windows XP installation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Thanks Karoma,

Sorry for posting in the wrong area. Mods feel free to move it to windows.

Cheers for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Trotter wrote:
    Sorry for posting in the wrong area. Mods feel free to move it to windows.
    Done

Advertisement