Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

zyxel prestige 600 router problem

Options
  • 03-12-2006 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭

hi lost my wep code and cant find it anywere.we have a bussiness that is right beside our house.the dsl comes into the zyexel in the bussines which then goes to a lynksys router(set as bridge) and then goes to the house via cat 5 and then goes into another lynsys router (set as bridge )and sends it wiresly to my pc.

i lost the code when reinstalling my pc with windows and i was not the 1 who set up.i have the password for the zyexel router but cant find the wep key any were in there.any ideas.

i can renember the wep key a small bit it was something like a1b2c3d4e5f6 but cant rember the rest any ideas guys??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

aww cmon guys .

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Can you give the exact model of the router? It'll be on the bottom of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

plug in cable to ethernet and change it using the web interface

you could try the more secure wpa instead of wep which is a password not a gobbly looking key

its the 660 ru-t1

how you mean web interface like when i type the ip of it into the brozer and it pops up and asks for password i can do that but when im in settings cant find the wep settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

awhir wrote:
    hi lost my wep code and cant find it anywere.we have a bussiness that is right beside our house.the dsl comes into the zyexel in the bussines which then goes to a lynksys router(set as bridge) and then goes to the house via cat 5 and then goes into another lynsys router (set as bridge )and sends it wiresly to my pc.

i lost the code when reinstalling my pc with windows and i was not the 1 who set up.i have the password for the zyexel router but cant find the wep key any were in there.any ideas.

i can renember the wep key a small bit it was something like a1b2c3d4e5f6 but cant rember the rest any ideas guys??

you say you have the password for the zyexel router but do you have the password for the wireless lynsys 1?? if you didnt change it its usually admin and password or something similar, often written on the bottom of the unit... so plug a computer into the ethernet port of the wireless lynsys(linksys??) router and log into it and then change the wep key from there... usually in security settings or something.. and as sponge bob said if your router and pc support it you should enable wpa instead... wep is very easily cracked these days

EDIT: You have 3 routers... they all have different ip's.. do you know the ip of the wireless linksys one? because thats what you need to type in your browser not the ip of the zyxel 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ok but 1 thing i duno the ip of the linksys router and i did not set this hole thing up ,some boyo form compac or sumthing.

awhir wrote:
    ok but 1 thing i duno the ip of the linksys router and i did not set this hole thing up ,some boyo form compac or sumthing.

whats the model number of the linksys wireless one???
    try 192.168.1.245 in the browser

found the it was 192.168.1.49 but i prompts for a username and i dont gota clue of what i could be.grr all this trouble over a wep key.

and the zyxel is not wireless i did not mention that.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

awhir wrote:
    found the it was 192.168.1.49 but i prompts for a username and i dont gota clue of what i could be.grr all this trouble over a wep key.
    Check the manual?

Alternatively put into google "linksys <model number> default password", something along those lines and you'll get the default stuff. if it's been changed from default, you're going to have to reset it. And you have one mental setup so you're probably going to have a hell of a time setting it all back up after a reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Try the standard admin/admin

awhir wrote:

try admin and password or try blank user and admin as password...

look here

Find out the model of the wireless one and look for it there

na didnet work **** it will wait until i can get it off my bros lappy .

aslo is this a common wep key a1b2c3d4e5f6 cant rember the rest but think it had aa after it or it was caps from a -f all i rember really was it had 22-24 digits or around that.

awhir wrote:
    na didnet work **** it will wait until i can get it off my bros lappy .

aslo is this a common wep key a1b2c3d4e5f6 cant rember the rest but think it had aa after it or it was caps from a -f all i rember really was it had 22-24 digits or around that.

no such thing as a common wep key, they are randomly generated...

Did you try leavinig the username blank and the password admin...

By the way you cant just get it off your brothers laptop... it isnt stored in plain text.. it is encrypted and stored somewhere.. you will have no hope of finding it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Well, if your wep key is on the Zyxel router, then the path that you want to look at is:

at the main screen
    Click "Wireless Lan"
    then click "Wireless"
    and the wep keys are down the bottom.

I'm not too sure about your entire set up, but that's where my keys are.

CatInABox wrote:
    Well, if your wep key is on the Zyxel router, then the path that you want to look at is:

at the main screen
    Click "Wireless Lan"
    then click "Wireless"
    and the wep keys are down the bottom.

I'm not too sure about your entire set up, but that's where my keys are.

no his zyxel isnt his wireless router... he has a linksys wireless router i believe

awhir what is theh model of the linksys wireless router???

am its the wrg54gs

that rallink stores them in plain text when u make a profile.

I just did a bit of research... if you hold down the reset button on that router for 30secs or so it will do a complete reset (ie) username and pasword reset to user: (nothing) and pass: admin

It will also reset the wep password... u should be able to log into the router then and set up the wep again... depending on what way your other routers are set up though this might cause some problems with clashing ip addresses and things because it will reset everything...

try this at your own risk

• Advertisement

ok manged to get into it.but could not find the wep may it be router password??
    in adminastration??

awhir wrote:
    ok manged to get into it.but could not find the wep may it be router password??
    in adminastration??

there should be wireless settings or wireless security settings along the side bar somewhere.....

the router password is just to change the router log in password (ie) the blank and admin you just typed in....

you mentioned you had 2 lynksys routers... is there any chance you have logged into the wrong one?? because if you are indeed in the interface of the wireless one you should see wireless settings or something similar... by the way you will need to set a new wep password after resetting... a reset clears everything

100% its the right 1.pluged it in driect to pc.

awhir wrote:
    100% its the right 1.pluged it in driect to pc.

ya but if you typed the wrong ip you could still access the other one from there because you are plugged into the network... any sign of wireless settings??

actually try this.. if you are currently plugged into the wrt54gs go start-run and type cmd.. then type ipconfig... Look at the ip of your default gateway then type that into the web browser.. that should defo bring up thr login screen for the wireless router

ok manged to get it workin.found out the wep key was on the router up in the house so reset it and just turned off dhcp because if i left it on none of the pcs down in the business would work and just gave it a ip.when i went to my pc i just said auto obtain ip and it worked :D

now im having problems settin me nintendo wii up with the network (i know this is the wrong place but mwith all the other info i posted i think i should post this here)the wii will find it but i cant connect to it what ever i do i dont have a wep key or no security on and i thought if the pc can auto opbtain the ip why cant the wii any ideas ??

h

Advertisement