Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League - Matchday 6 (scores included)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Thats not an excuse for standing and watching tho. They should be rushign the barce players, getting on top of them, dont let them settle and knock it around. They dont seem in too much of a ruch to get forward when they do have the ball either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

the liverpool - galatasary match is highly eneventful tbh, good goal from okan though.

3-1 Galatasary, Sasa Ilic (sp?), terrible defending from Riise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

2-0 Chelsea SWP

Some very fresh faced youngfella called Miki Roque is now on in place of Alonso.

Result 2-0 Chelsea....Top of group ! !

fowler scores his second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Eamon Dunphy: "Barcelona don't defend like a Champions League team..."

What the hell does that even mean!? I could understand maybe if he said that about Newcastle!

I wonder if he realises they're still the holders...

They're no Celsea at the back, but then who are?

kinaldo wrote:
    I wonder if he realises they're still the holders...

Seeing as there hasnt been a final since they won it, I reckon he has an idea. :)

Anyway, being the holders only means you were good last season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

kinaldo wrote:
    They're no Celsea at the back, but then who are?
    Barcelona.

P W D L F A GD PTS
    1 Chelsea 6 4 1 1 10 4 6 13
    2 Barcelona 6 3 2 1 12 4 8 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Galatasaray 3-2 Liverpool

GOALS
    Necati (24) Okan (28) Ilic (80)
    Fowler (22, 89)

A game with nothing at stake, but perhaps a night where something could be learned even if Liverpool lined out a '2nd 11'. Liverpool played a formation like this:

Dudek
    - Peltier - Paletta -- Agger -- Riise -
    Pennant - Alonso - Carragher - Guthrie
    Bellamy - Fowler

Subs came on:
    Garcia (Guthrie 65) Crouch (Bellamy 74) Roque (Alonso 84)

Robbie got the opener with his arse! A good cross from Bellamy from the left hand side.

The Turkish outfit came back through a stray pass from Xabi. Paletta perhaps could have done better, but Alonso's sloppiness was the main culprit. They scored again a few minutes later with a wel struck shot after a Liverpool clearence. No blame on Dudek but perhaps he could have done a bit better. No one got in a good blocking position. The third was ppor defense from Liverpool, mainly by Riise, although Agger and Paletta could have perhaps done more to recover, as Carra always does.

Fowler got a late consolation goal, a good header from about 8 yards out after a cross from wide by Pennant. The other notable item of play was a neatly worked free kick, a deft chip by Alonso put Robbie clean through but his shot was too lame and too direct at the keeper.

Lessons:
    - Paletta and Agger not strong enough as CB's together, both lacking in enough experience, combined this with Peltier on the right.

- Peltier did the best of the 'new' players I thought.

- Not sure if Guthrie did much in the game at all

- Robbie not fit enough to be a super sub, still has good finishing skills though although still misses sitters

- a night to gain experience

Redspider

ps: nice goal by Ronaldinho, typical Brazillian
    Gudjohnsen was offside for the 2nd goal, it shouldnt have counted

Good to see Shevcenko score, although that made him more selfish for the rest of the match. Chelsea dominated their game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Never thought I'd say this but G'luck to Celtic tonight, from being dumped out of the CL in qualifiers and UEFA Cup likewise to Knockout stages in 15 months would be quite an achivement for Scottish football.

Mike.

They're already through to the knockouts, no luck required.

You spoilt the moment by showing my iggerance.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

mike65 wrote:
    You spoilt the moment by showing my iggerance.

Mike.

It was a nice sentiment anyway :D

• Advertisement

With Barcelona through and now the bookies favourites, Man Utd might be better off taking a draw tonight and hoping for 2nd. That would at least rule out Barca, Real Madrid and Inter in the next round, although I think a match against either has the potential to be a classic. I wouldn't be so keen on Lyon or Milan as a spectacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

kinaldo wrote:
    With Barcelona through and now the bookies favourites, Man Utd might be better off taking a draw tonight and hoping for 2nd. That would at least rule out Barca, Real Madrid and Inter in the next round, although I think a match against either has the potential to be a classic. I wouldn't be so keen on Lyon or Milan as a spectacle.

True, both teams would also beat United easily tho. It would be no contest

Just seen the Ronaldinho free kick from last night. Nice although when Ronnie does it, it is visionary and when Thompson did for Celtic against Liverpool, the media were saying it was a fluke!

True, both teams would also beat United easily tho. It would be no contest
    I'd fancy Man Utd to overcome Bayern Munich, Lyon, Valencia and Porto or CSKA Moskow. Some of the 2nd placed finishers look much tougher and I would expect Barca and Real Madrid to beat them, and Inter and Roma would be very tricky games.

I hope Man Utd top their group tonight and draw Real Madrid. I still have fond memories of those games from 00 and 03, and it's amazing to think that Capello and Ferguson have never faced each other as managers despite sharing 4 CL finals between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Glad Barca got through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

inter and Roma are poor teams. United would have both of them easily enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Anyone know if the Arsenal game is on anywhere?

Setanta

Mike.

Ah, its on setanta, dont have it though (damn Sky :mad:)

PS Did RTE get a new camera or something?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

http://live-footy.org/wed6.12/Porto_Arsenal4.html

You can watch the Arsenal game here. No software needed

Eamon Dunphy: "Alex Ferguson is a bloody ejit, a disgrace and a liar..."

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Dunphy's on form again - "Ferguson is a liar and a fool." "Sir Alex Ferguson is a knight of the realm in *that* country, he should be trying to clean up football instead of defending that obvious cheat (Ronaldo."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

lol What Ronaldo does is the same as tiger woods picking up a golf ball from the rough. classic Dunphy

Did Benfica send out the youth team? lol how small are their players.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Dyin to see Quaresma do some damage against Arsenal. He's what Ronaldo only wishes he could be.

Xavi6 wrote:
    Dyin to see Quaresma do some damage against Arsenal. He's what Ronaldo only wishes he could be.

Greg Louganis?

Celtic 1-0 down

The midfield and defence just parted to allow Copenhagen to score, nice finish though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Please tell me someone else saw what Quaresma just did. What a player.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Man U losing 1-0 to a fantastic strike

Holy ****!

What a goal!!!

WTF is Strachan doing having the defence playing like that, absolutely appalling defending all night just when Celtic were getting back into the game.

2-0 to the Danes

WTF is Strachan doing having the defence playing like that, absolutely appalling defending all night just when Celtic were getting back into the game.

2-0 to the Danes
    Maybe he wants to finish 2nd in the group...

• Advertisement

The arsenal game is a snorefest as expected.

Super finish for Benfica. Still reckon Utd will get 1 or 2.

The arsenal game is a snorefest as expected.

Surely not heading for a mutually benificial draw? :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Zzzzzzzzz.

Stekelly wrote:
    Surely not heading for a mutually benificial draw? :)

It better be.

Anybody been watching the RTE stream which went down just before Benfica goal and there are some eejits in earshot of a mike on it now, hilarious stuff :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Vidic you ****in beauty 1-1

1-1. it was coming. Benfica well dodgy at the back, If yer man Rocha doesnt get to the ball the rest of them are fooked cos they cant defend. The keeper was all over the place, came out and only managed to take out his own player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Can't believe Celtic haven't scored. The defence is as bad as it has been any time this season when questions are asked but I can't believe Copenhagen have kept a first half clean sheet.

Celtic need to top the group if they have any chance of getting into the last 8. There's no way they'll hold a 1st leg lead away to any team in Europe atm so they need to get the 2nd leg at home.

Thanks to Newcastle and our crap defence I can't enjoy any of tonight's CL action :(

United just need a draw to qualify yea? and a win to finish first? Fingers crossed Celtic will come 2nd and we will draw them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement