Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League - Matchday 6 (scores included)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

United just need a draw to qualify yea? and a win to finish first? Fingers crossed Celtic will come 2nd and we will draw them.

That was my thought first, you lot can have Barca ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The way things stand, United will top the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

United just need a draw to qualify yea? and a win to finish first? Fingers crossed Celtic will come 2nd and we will draw them.

Man United will top the group if Celtic lose and Man United get their result ( draw or win)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

3-0 Copenhagen. Almost every Celtic player is playing crap and Copenhagen honestly haven't been much better.

3-0 Copenhagen :D

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Giggs 2-1 to ManU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Weird group, everyone seems to have beaten everyone.

2-1 Man Ure, Giggs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

CSKA 2-1 up. Arsenal and porto nailed on for 0-0 now.

CSKA Moscow now 2-1 up, if I'm not mistaken guys does this not mean that they go through if results stay the same which will mean Arsenal are out due to results against CSKA ie. loss and draw :confused:

*edit ............. just checked and and CSka go out if results stay the same so 0-0 in Porto is a certainty !

• Advertisement

Saha 3-1 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What a dive, followed by a goal! 3-1

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Mad Dog wrote:
    CSKA Moscow now 2-1 up, if I'm not mistaken guys does this not mean that they go through if results stay the same which will mean Arsenal are out due to results against CSKA ie. loss and draw :confused:

No, I haven't done the maths but a draw in the Arsenal game means both Arsenal and Porto go through no matter what CSKA do.

Nope, once Arsenal porto remains a draw it doesnt matter what happens in the CSKA match.

thats why the Arsenal match was a guranteed draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Mad Dog wrote:

No arsenal are through if they get the draw no matter what happens in the other match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How bad is Benficas defending? The guy didnt even bother looking at Saha or the ball , just pulled him. If I was his manager he'd have to have surgery to remove my foot from his ass.

Chucky what are you suggesting? ;)

Mike.

Ole on for Scholes. Good to see him back again

They've been taking Italian lessons. ;)

• Advertisement

Porto and Arsenal have stopped trying I think. UEFA should have an enquiry

Mike.

2-2 in Hamburg, this group should be over now.

CSKA game is 2-2 now and Celtic pull a goal back. 3-1 now

this arsenal match is comedy gold.

3-2 now to Hamburg so guess the UEFA inquiry is off now ;)

So its all over now all 4 prem clubs through (and Celtic).

The draw will be interesting.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

mike65 wrote:
    Porto and Arsenal have stopped trying I think. UEFA should have an enquiry

Mike.
    Agreed. What clown came up with the idea of giving the European Cup group stages? He should be whipped and stoned.

Man, the commentators and anchor on Setanta just can't see past the fact the Arsenal needed a point to get through. It's negative but there's nothing wrong with playing for a point and the match didn't turn into a joke until the last 10 minutes.

Atouba tells the crowd to f*ck off after being substituted. Quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The worst thing about the Utd -Benfica result is that Benfica were this bad last year. I really cant understand how they managed to put Utd and Liverpool out. Neither should have lost to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Job done, got that 'oh no, not again' feeling when Nelson struck that wonder goal, but after that United were in the ascendency. It's amazing that it took a goal to get them playing, it was so lackluster before that. I can't understand why Fergie plays Rooney out on the left in Europe, it really boggles the mind.

Anyway, whoever United get in the knock-out stages, hopefully it'll be less of what happened in the first half and more of what happened in the second. Glad to be avoiding Lyon and Milan, but there's still some giants who finished second as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'm telling you's Manchester United will get Real Madrid.... It's being written from above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i am pissed off by that bull**** Porto v Arsenal game. both teams should be ashamed of themselves :mad: :mad:

for shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

If Larsson was playing for Celtic he'd have got 3 or 4 goals tonight.

Good to see Darren O'Dea get a game. He was actually organising the defence which is embarassingly funny with Bobo Balde in beside him.

Would not have mattered as Celtic would have conceded 5 or 6 the way the defence were playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

united through,top of the group, job done, all worked out well in the end. vidic and carrick (mom) were excellent, 3 headers, good to see united score from crosses. bring on the knock out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

carrick (mom)
    Are you serious?

We were watching different games so - were you in the pub by any chance?

I watched him for a fifteen minute period in the first half - 20 minutes to 35 minutes - and he passed the ball once, it was a three yard pass to Scholes, and got one block in, out on the Benfica left side.

It looked to me like either :

a) He didn't want the ball.

or

b) The other players didn't want him to have the ball.

Whatever it was, a Manchester United central midfielder simply has to see more of the ball in a match.

After this period of the game I had given up on him, and the number of wayward passes he made subsequently was unbelievable. I can't remember one pass that was anywhere near accurate over about ten yards, and he didn't open any opportunities for attacking play. He was ineffective throughout.

Now, don't get me started on his tackling ability. He has none. People can cry all they want that he wasn't 'bought to tackle' but any central midfielder in the world needs to expect to have to make at least a tackle or two in a game, especially in the CL.

Since his arrival to Manchester United he has put in one quality performance, which was at Bolton. Not good enough imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

To be honest I think Benfica bottled it! They were looking great and playing united off the park right up until their goal. After that I think they got scared and couldn't hold it together. I didn't think United were anything special, they played their normal game. The best football of the match was in the first 20 mins and it was from Benfica. They looked the better team in my opinion, right up to the time where they got stage fright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Man Utd had a slight scare last night but when a goal down they went up a gear and the goal back came quickly. Benfica capitulated after that in terms of spirit and fight. Giggs was wide open for the 2nd. All goals were headers and at times Benfica didnt bring back enough defenders when Man Utd packed the box with runners.

The draw will come from this:

1st: Chelsea, Bayern Munich, Liverpool, Valencia, Lyon, Man U, Arsenal, AC Milan
    2nd: Barcelona, Inter, PSV, Roma, Real Madrid, Celtic, Porto, Lille

Seemingly, you cant be drawn against a club from the same country, or a club that qualified from the same group as you, so Valencia cant be drawn against Barcelona or Real Madrid or Roma (same group), Lyon cant be drawn against Lille or Real Madrid, etc.

There is a 7/3 chance that Celtic will meet either Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea. In a strange kind of way, that may help them as they will know exactly what they are up against.

It will be an interesting draw. The top teams will be hoping to get the likes of Lille or Porto. But there are no easy games. The path to the final is also drawn at this stage, and with the quality that remains, there are no hiding places on the route to the final.

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

iregk wrote:
    To be honest I think Benfica bottled it! They were looking great and playing united off the park right up until their goal. After that I think they got scared and couldn't hold it together. I didn't think United were anything special, they played their normal game. The best football of the match was in the first 20 mins and it was from Benfica. They looked the better team in my opinion, right up to the time where they got stage fright.
    Just wondering if you watched the game or not?

I did yes thanks very much for your concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

iregk wrote:
    I did yes thanks very much for your concern.
    just wondering - given your comments :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

A very important result for United, particularly with the other three English teams winning their respective groups, it should make for a much easier draw for them in the next round.

Vidic looks a very good player now that he has settled. A perfect example of why one shouldn't judge any foreign player after a couple of months. Comfortable on the ball yet very agressive, and any defender that is bagging goals from set pieces is vital to a team.

Ronaldo again doing what he does best, a lot of style, but not as much substance. Good cross for the goal though.

United were worth their win, Benfica showed up to the be the shocking team they are. They should have been despatched at this stage last year. It still pains me though to see Simao line out of them and Pennant for Liverpool however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

united through,top of the group, job done, all worked out well in the end. vidic and carrick (mom) were excellent, 3 headers, good to see united score from crosses. bring on the knock out

Didnt see it myself but Newstalk had Andy Mitten on the phone after the game and he said Carrick was very poor.

Saw the goals later last night and wondered if Benfica do any practice defending from crosses. Very poor defensively.

I thought United would win by 2 goals as even in the away game Benfica had nothing up front and had more posession up until the United goal. After the goal they disappeared.

Top three choices for next round...Lille, Porto and then Roma.

TheMonster wrote:
    just wondering - given your comments :D

Glad to know your wondering if I'm ok or not. Nice to know someone cares.

On the plus side the next stage should be interesting. A lot of good and big teams in the 2nd place spots. Another Real Man U game would be very interesting as would a Liverpool Celtic game. I'm hoping for a Chelsea Inter game as well. Lille aside I think the lineup for the 2nd stage is a very very strong one.

p.s. still love the way the sky commentators were waxing lyrical about having 5 teams in the second round. Please lads get it into your heads you have 4 teams. Celtic are Scotish!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

iregk wrote:
    p.s. still love the way the sky commentators were waxing lyrical about having 5 teams in the second round. Please lads get it into your heads you have 4 teams. Celtic are Scotish!!!
    Sky aren't an 'English' channel.

BSkyB : British Sky Boradcasting.

Last time I checked Scotland was part of Britain.

They were talking about 'all five British teams'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

And with all four English teams topping their groups it's really a good indication of how crap the Premiership really is ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

When does the draw for teh 2nd round happen?

Barca
    Inter
    PSV
    Roma
    Real
    Celtic
    Porto
    Lille

Theres only three easy teams there, Celtic Porto and Lille.
    If we had come 2nd we'd have
    Bayern
    Milan
    Valencia
    Lyon

tbh, just about happier to come first, cause theres more of a chance of a crap team, but tehre is some serious strength in the 2nd bracket.

seansouth wrote:
    Sky aren't an 'English' channel.

That is actually quite funny

PHB wrote:
    When does the draw for teh 2nd round happen?

Draw is on 15th at noon I think, UEFA will probably string the event out for about an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

PHB wrote:
    tbh, just about happier to come first, cause theres more of a chance of a crap team, but tehre is some serious strength in the 2nd bracket.

TBH the only one there I would be worried about would be Barca. I have seen nothing from the others to say that they are better than United. Second leg at OT is an advantage against some of these teams who do not perform away from home.

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying United will ease into the quarters but on what I have seen there is no one there that United would fear.

• Advertisement

seansouth wrote:
    They were talking about 'all five British teams'.

Brittish my hole. I can guarantee if Shels or someone was in it they would be calling them Brittish as well. Just like the said during teh summer about the Ryder cup being played in brittain also including McGinley, Harrington and Clarke to their roster of Brittish golfers!!!

Advertisement