Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal advice - help is appreciated!

Options
  • 03-12-2006 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I was hoping someone could give me some legal advice. If an employee leaves a company but the company pays the employee an extra month's wages by accident a month after he/she has left (i.e payroll not informed) - is it mandatory that the former employee return that money?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

In a word: Yes.

I believe this was discussed in more depth recently enough (Within last 1-2 months) in Work&Jobs or After Hours.
    Try searching: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/searchbt.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tallaghtban

Hi thanks for the response, I couldn't find that other thread.

I don't understand how they can claim their money back if it's a clerical error on their part, they don't know of this error yet but I'd like to be forthcoming with it rather than get a letter a few months down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I don't understand how they can claim their money back if it's a clerical error on their part

It's simple - It's their money and wasn't meant to be yours.
    Any employer is within their rights to deduct from your wages should they overpay in error.
    See here re deductions on Oasis.gov.ie

They will probably find out sooner or later and demand it back. If you genuinely didn't know either, they'd probably come to some agreement with you to pay it back over (say) a 12 month period, depending on amount and your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi thanks for the response, I couldn't find that other thread.

I don't understand how they can claim their money back if it's a clerical error on their part, they don't know of this error yet but I'd like to be forthcoming with it rather than get a letter a few months down the line

What about if they underpaid you, and you didn't notice until after a few weeks - do you think it would be unfair for you to ask for the money at that point?

Advertisement