Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive tailback on the Dunmore Road about 17.00 today (Sunday)

• 03-12-2006 6:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

The traffic inbound on the Dunmore Road just stopped at 5 this evening. It was just like a Monday morning tailback, stationary even past the Ballinakill Shopping Centre (where Oskar's is).

Did something particular happen or was it just volume?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

It was a car accident. I saw an ambulance there, and a car with the front of it fairly mangled. It looked like someone drove into the back of another car. It didnt look overly serious anyway, just enough to crumple the bonnet.. but cars are designed for that anyway. Still, what a psser of a thing to happen 3 weeks before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

It can be so easy to crash. You lose concentration for a second and bump you run into the back of a car " Has not happend to me but so nearly has ". Touch wood it wont!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

The bottom of my road where it meets the Dunmore road has had more smashes than Mad Max.
    I get jumpy if a week or more goes by and I don't hear one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

keep yer distance and take it nice and slow..simple things but people don't seem to practice them...no wonder there are so many accidents. everyone seems to be in a rush. For the sake of a few minutes would ya risk having a crash? Doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

keep yer distance and take it nice and slow..simple things but people don't seem to practice them...no wonder there are so many accidents. everyone seems to be in a rush. For the sake of a few minutes would ya risk having a crash? Doubt it.

Of course you're right, but it's so easy to run into someone's rear as you're crawling forward in first or second gear like on the Dunmore Road. Two reasons:

1. You're expecting the traffic to keep crawling, but it stops suddenly because some muppet up ahead always lets someone out of a side road. People on the Dunmore Road are always doing this, even when the person in the side road has just pulled up. They think they're being "nice", but they're causing lots of frustration by stop-starting the traffic 20m back. I've never seen this in Dublin, the other place where I have plenty of experience driving.

2. You lose concentration or just plain get distracted, usually by some honey waiting for the bus :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

fricatus wrote:

1. You're expecting the traffic to keep crawling, but it stops suddenly because some muppet up ahead always lets someone out of a side road. People on the Dunmore Road are always doing this, even when the person in the side road has just pulled up. They think they're being "nice", but they're causing lots of frustration by stop-starting the traffic 20m back. I've never seen this in Dublin, the other place where I have plenty of experience driving.:D

I learnt to drive in London where there's permanent heavy traffic and when having lessons I was told that you should let one or two vehicles out from adjoining side roads. It is the norm over there because everyone is in the same boat. I don't know about Dublin.

Fortunately I don't have to use the Dunmore Road in the mornings except on the rare occasion that I'd have to drive children to school if they missed the school bus but then I'm heading out the Dunmore Road. What's very annoying are cars heading into town parked in the yellow box blocking everyone trying to exit our estate. It's not like you're going to delay them when you're heading in the opposite direction and the traffic is crawling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

fricatus wrote:
    Of course you're right, but it's so easy to run into someone's rear as you're crawling forward in first or second gear like on the Dunmore Road. Two reasons:

1. You're expecting the traffic to keep crawling, but it stops suddenly because some muppet up ahead always lets someone out of a side road. People on the Dunmore Road are always doing this, even when the person in the side road has just pulled up. They think they're being "nice", but they're causing lots of frustration by stop-starting the traffic 20m back. I've never seen this in Dublin, the other place where I have plenty of experience driving.

2. You lose concentration or just plain get distracted, usually by some honey waiting for the bus :D

Have to agree with Fricatus here. These muppets or 'good samaritans' as I refer to them as think they'll do their good deed for the day & decide to stop the complete flow of traffic on a main road just to let a car out from a side road:rolleyes:

What makes this worse is where there's traffic lights involved, typical example is Powerscourt, where there are traffic lights in place that change regularly to allow traffic access to and from the area. NO NEED FOR PLEASANTRIES HERE, EVERYBODY WILL GET THIER FAIR CHANCE!:mad:

As for the honeys....well there's just absolutely nothin' you can do about that!:D :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

deisemum wrote:
    I learnt to drive in London where there's permanent heavy traffic and when having lessons I was told that you should let one or two vehicles out from adjoining side roads. It is the norm over there because everyone is in the same boat. I don't know about Dublin.

Actually yeah, in fairness, what I try to do is creep slowly up to the junction, allowing one car, maybe two, time to pull out in front of me. I learned to drive in England too, and I was taught to do that so people in side roads could get out, but the trick was to allow the traffic behind to keep rolling, albeit slowly.

What annoys me here is that the "good samaritans" come to a complete halt, which in heavy traffic (all day on the Dunmore Road) causes a whole block of traffic 100 or 200m back to stop.

In Dublin, it's the opposite. Totally dog-eat-dog, no-one letting anyone out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

A lot of the problems on the Dunmore Road are down to the traffic lights not being synchronised and the blockages down by Lombard/William Street caused by fools double parking. Then of course there are the parents dropping off kids to school at Waterpark and the other schools down by the park. Then there is the utterly stupidly traffic flow that basically cuts off traffic from Powerscourt at the pedestrian crossing. And of course the idiots who drive through the pedestrian crossing when the lights are red really irritate the people around here.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement