Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP VERY slow shutdown...depending on how long PC is on

• 03-12-2006 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

When go to shutdown pc from start tab fristly takes forever for the "Shutdown/Standby/Rerstart" options screen to come up and then takes even beleeding longer for the pc to actually shutdown. Have done the usual spyware/adware/virus scans (spybot/adware/ZoneAlarm), ZoneAlarm firewall is on and normal...nada.

Ran CCleaner and Registry Mechanic today, no joy.

When go to log off...no problem

Longer the PC is "turned on" the longer it seems to take to go into shutdown mode i.e. for first ~10mins post start up can go into shutdown mode no problem.

Any one have any ideas?

John.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to windows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

CTRL+ALT+DEL for Task Monitor

See what's running and taking up most resources before you shut down. It's probably some prog running in the background, either a Windows system process or an application trying to access the internet.

Interestingly, I tried to put my machine into Standby the other day while Roxio CD creator (don't ask why I was using it :rolleyes: ) was running and it wouldn't let me :mad: Seems Roxio doesn't like that :)

Post a list if you like (with the amount of memory they are using) or Google each process name.

Could also be a RAM problem. If you've had Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat and a lot of other programs running (sometimes Firefox as well) then 'closing' them actually closes the windows but they can still hog a lot of memory. Could that be the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Finn Dub

Had a similar problem to this on my PC, discussed in this thread:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055010512

After lots of time spent stopping services and trying to shut down again, I narrowed it down to the Automatic Updates service, I disabled this and it sorted the problem.

Finn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

thanks finn dub, yep auto update service was the problem.

Advertisement