Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Landing in Dublin Airport in the winds of Sh*t

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Oh it won't be on until July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

I landed in that too .. stuck in Doncaster airport for 4 hours, and when it did finally get as far as Dublin the approach was horrendous... fair play to the pilot, :D , bet he enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭rossious

This is how they start the indy car racing / supercars on the Gold coast in Oz...... Loud and cool.

http://www.rossandtherese.com/travelvideo/Indy%20Weekend/Indy%20-%20F111%20Dump%20and%20Burn.wmv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Jesus H. Christ!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

I got a flight on Sunday Night at 8 from Dublin. I was feeling lucky that the flight wasnt cancelled considering flights 1hour earlier were. Taking off from Dublin there was no problem but when we got over the Irish Sea there was nothing but turbulence for 1 hour. Sickening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

was coming from stanstead to dublin on sunday
    plane circled for 30 mins
    finally began approach at about 1pm
    missed it due to wind, plane was all over the place, was terrifying
    had to divert to shannon to 3 hour coach ride
    everyone on place was shitting it!
    wudnt wish it on my worst enemy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Skitbra

I have to agree with Mushy. I absolutely love landing in turbulence. It's so much fun, that feeling of flying sideways only for the pilot to straighten up just as you land.
    Taking off, now that's a different story. I hate that. Scares me ****less.
    Completely irrational though, as we all know taking off is safer than landing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Ugh ....
    You know, when your landing in bad weather the pilot is not flying the plane, he only has control after its touched down.

Cork uses a CAT II Instrument Landing System, if the weather is beyond the tolerance of that the flights get diverted to Shannon or Dublin.

i.e. when you heard and engine increasing thrust to compensate for the roll, it was a computer, the pilot was sitting there hoping the thing would work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Takeoff is actually the most dangerous part of the flight, the plane is at its heaviest and at its lowest in energy, if an engine fails just after takeoff or any kind of problem with the aircraft happens before it has enough speed to fly and climb you're in big trouble. Thankfully planes are very very safe, well maintained and flown by pilots who have practised every event in a simulator several times over each year so you're in good hands...

That video above of the 757 in lisbon is actually a terrible example of flying, the pilot should have gone around long before he did and not allowed the plane to "float" and wobble so much, dangerously close to striking an engine, wing or gear off the runway.

Its one of the safest forms of travelling people! You have a far greater chance of dying every day when you sit into your car :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

craichoe wrote:
    Ugh ....
    You know, when your landing in bad weather the pilot is not flying the plane, he only has control after its touched down.

Cork uses a CAT II Instrument Landing System, if the weather is beyond the tolerance of that the flights get diverted to Shannon or Dublin.

i.e. when you heard and engine increasing thrust to compensate for the roll, it was a computer, the pilot was sitting there hoping the thing would work.

not in those kind of crossinds though, what autoland system can deal with 20-30kts gusting 60? Pilots certainly dont "sit there" hoping it would work, they'd come down the ILS until 2-5 miles and hand fly her down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement