Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video games are evil

Options
  • 03-12-2006 9:29pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Show called Killing Games on RTE 2 now if anyone's interested.
    Dealing with violence in games mostly.
    Seems a bit biased so far but at least they haven't shown Mr Thompson...

EDIT: No wait there he is, never mind, more rubbish from RTE.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

just watching this tripe at the moment, more than a bit biased, and there is the famous Mr Thompson..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

They keep discussing kids this, kids that, and then show clips of GTA, postal and some other mindlessly violent games that are adult only or 17+. If parents buy these games for their kids its the parents fault not games.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Whyone else see the irony of complaining about easy access to violent media and then showing Full Metal Jacket straight after it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

they also failed to mention that germany has huge restricitions on video game violence when they brought up the german guy who went crazy in a school. utter rubbish,

would love to get 100 of these idiots in a confence room and for me to play through postal in front of them and then stand up and not kill anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

humanji wrote:
    Whyone else see the irony of complaining about easy access to violent media and then showing Full Metal Jacket straight after it?

Yeah, I thought that was hilarious. Muppets

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pure biased rubbish. I'd say the pro videogame got a total of 10 seconds screen time and that was just to show some damning statements that were editted to make what they were saying seem worse.

However it has opened my eyes to what an embarassment of a game that Postal 2 is. The people responsible should be ashamed of making not only an awful game but a contemptable piece of crap that puts the whole of videogames in bad light and for giving the bible bashing right wing anti-videogaming lobby their poster child.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Those kids who shot up the school used shotguns, shotguns are used in doom, doom was responsible.

Failed to mention that those games are played all over the world, yet America is the only one with kids shooting up the school on a regular basis.

Yeah, it came across as a highly patronizing piece of propaganda. Even the tone they used to describe the games tournament in Seoul made it seem like it was some of sordid child abusing orgy.

Love the full metal jacket irony, balance RTE style!

zabbo wrote:
    Those kids who shot up the school used shotguns, shotguns are used in doom, doom was responsible.

Failed to mention that those games are played all over the world, yet America is the only one with kids shooting up the school on a regular basis.

Now now, don't forget those mushroom killing fanatics in Japan...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

zabbo wrote:

Actually, they said that they used the same type of weapons used in Doom. And if you remember, they used pistols, shotguns, a chaingun, a plasma gun and a BFG at the school!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

zabbo wrote:
    Those kids who shot up the school used shotguns, shotguns are used in doom,

Doom stared Karl Urban, who was in that Lord of the Rings film, which was directed by Peter Jackson who once said hello to KEVIN SPACEY!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

any chance someone youtubed this monstrosity?

One bit that really pissed me off was some fool spouting on about how games reward players for directing violence at people and give extra reward for attacking ethnic minorities and women. It then cut to scenes from Vice city showing such violence. Thats nice but no mention that the "reward" in this case is nearly always a pretty prompt trip to jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Videogames don't kill people, American highschool students kill people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    any chance someone youtubed this monstrosity?

seconded.
    Just for laughs, you understand.

Also, what are the chances that this rubbish will be a topic of discussion on tripe like joe duffy come monday morning?

should be even funnier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Sorry, double post

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sorry, double post
    Delete it so :p (not now though, cos then this post makes no sense!)

Any show which shows **** ******** as anything other than the losing lawyer that he is is an instant fail in my informed eyes. Also funny was the German bits, cos I understand them & some of the commentators were a wee bit more biased than the subtitles showed... They also overused GTA video-reels. Was fun explaining to my grandad that I actually HAVE just run through VC doing nothing but ambulance & taxi missions for hours before, though. And being able to counter each hysterical outburst on the program with facts :D

And yes, seeing Leonard go crazy in FMJ straight after - hilarious!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I know the METRO isn't a fact based paper, but the headline today

"VIDEO GAMES CAN MAKE YOU NASTY"

Is a bit on the soft side for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

tba wrote:

Yeh, i expected something along the lines of "Have you killed your school today?"

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭crybaby

was it made by an Irish company or was it an American production?

• Advertisement

It looked very american, It was called Killing Games, I can't find any mention of it online anywhere tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

tba wrote:

I can just imagine my Mam holding out the front page of the Metro in front of me when I come back from work before I shoot her in the face again for being a bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

5uspect wrote:
    One bit that really pissed me off was some fool spouting on about how games reward players for directing violence at people and give extra reward for attacking ethnic minorities and women. It then cut to scenes from Vice city showing such violence. Thats nice but no mention that the "reward" in this case is nearly always a pretty prompt trip to jail.

Got to love this crap from these whineing hippy liberal type's its perfectly fine to kill men but by god you better not touch a minoritie or women because you know men dont matter after all...

Anyway didnt these small minded morons whine about films when they first came out year's ago it will be something else in a few year's just ignore them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darnell13

Didn't see the show at all. Glad it happened though, cos this thread is dead funny.

Now, i don't play the gta's of this world, but i do know what they were saying. Everytime i see a mushroom, i just can't stop myself jumping on it. And if i get stuck in one more big green pipe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

This **** really boils my blood tbh.

But hey, I play games. The last thing I'm going to do is get violent. They knocked any urges I have right outta me when I play them.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WallysWorld

5uspect wrote:
    It looked very american, It was called Killing Games, I can't find any mention of it online anywhere tho.

Credits at the end had very Scandanavian sounding names and Im pretty sure I saw "Translated from ...... by SomeCompany™" in there somewhere too although it escapes me as to what country it was, so probably not American.

As to the program itself it was biased rubbish wheeling out the same tired cliches, people have to realise that a game like GTA, Postal or whatever are, just like a film such as Full Metal Jacket, aimed at ADULTS and shouldnt be bought by parents for children. If parents do supply their kids with violent videogames then they are idiots and the blame for 'warping' their kids minds or whatever should rest squarely on their shoulders.

Credits at the end had very Scandanavian sounding names and Im pretty sure I saw "Translated from ...... by SomeCompany™" in there somewhere too although it escapes me as to what country it was, so probably not American.

Actually you're right, I remember that translation thing now, well spotted.

I remember last year I was buying a few DVDs in HMV (Xmas shopping etc) and there was a woman in fromt of me ordering an xbox and GTA:SA. The girl at the till asked who the game was for. The woman replied my son. The girl asked what age and the woman said 8 (i think it was definitely below 10!) The girl then told the mother I can't not sell you this game but it is rated 18 for a reason and is not suitable for a child. The mother just didn't care one bit and bought it anyway. I blame the parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

I think its ironic that a country like america can complain about violent videogamesbut then go into a country like iraq and kill all before them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah I love popular (unpopular?) opinion on video games. Always good for a larf. Did they make any references to any actual, proper, scientific research? Because every time I see such reports, they tend to come out on our side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I think its ironic that a country like america can complain about violent videogamesbut then go into a country like iraq and kill all before them.

Yus, and I wonder what Jack Thompson et al thought of 'America's Army' - good clean, wholesome, god-fearin' fun...?

Advertisement