Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video games are evil

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I missed the first 15 minutes but when I turned it on they had some Japanese girl wired up to some instruments monitoring her brain activity while she play tetris on a gameboy. They concluded that playing games is relaxing. I didn't see anything else other than that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There is an article in the most recent edition of the North County Leader (free delivered local Newspaper for the Fingal area) called Vengeful Videogames. I sat down to read it today expecting the same old crap but was pleasantly surprised that it was the best written articleon this subject that I've yet to read in any newspaper. It was basically warning parents about violent videogames and saying that parents might not realise how far videogame systems have come in their depictions of reality. It says that it is nobodies fault other than the parents if these games end up in the hands of children. He also then goes on that it is usually futile to try to shield children from the games because they will go through extraordinary and amusing lengths just to play them (very true, did some stupid things just to play MK2 when it was released :) ) and the parents should explain to their kids about how the game isn't like real life. He went on about research showing increased aggression in children when they play a game (they were probably made play ultimate Gn'G) but then remarks how violent videogames sales in the US have increased while violent crimes by youngsters has decreased.

It's nice to be pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Retr0gamer wrote:
    There is an article in the most recent edition of the North County Leader (free delivered local Newspaper for the Fingal area) called Vengeful Videogames. I sat down to read it today expecting the same old crap but was pleasantly surprised that it was the best written articleon this subject that I've yet to read in any newspaper. It was basically warning parents about violent videogames and saying that parents might not realise how far videogame systems have come in their depictions of reality. It says that it is nobodies fault other than the parents if these games end up in the hands of children. He also then goes on that it is usually futile to try to shield children from the games because they will go through extraordinary and amusing lengths just to play them (very true, did some stupid things just to play MK2 when it was released :) ) and the parents should explain to their kids about how the game isn't like real life. He went on about research showing increased aggression in children when they play a game (they were probably made play ultimate Gn'G) but then remarks how violent videogames sales in the US have increased while violent crimes by youngsters has decreased.

It's nice to be pleasantly surprised.
    Scans? :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

yep, I'd like a read of that too please...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Fingal!

Bastion of Common sense!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No access to a scanner unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

Ah I love popular (unpopular?) opinion on video games. Always good for a larf. Did they make any references to any actual, proper, scientific research? Because every time I see such reports, they tend to come out on our side.

Troy McClure can't help but come to mind...

TmcC: Just ask this leading Scientician!

Scientist: I....

TmcC: He'll tell you that video games are Scientifically EVIL!

Advertisement