Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 2MB seems to be running at 992/256 - does this mix exist?

Options
  • 03-12-2006 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi,

lately I've noticed a big increase in download times. I've had Eircom 2MB (Home Plus) since last May.

I ran the Hosting365 test last week a couple of times, and was never getting above 1MB. This evening I logged into the router and am reading the speed details copied in below as 992 Down and 256 Up.

Could it be that Eircom has given me a "new" package - slower for the same money??

Speed
    992/256 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation
    61/31 dB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Your line att. looks weird. Mine is 28/12 on the same package.

My speeds are fine.

Cork

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

It's not weird, he's just far from the exchange. 1Mbps is probably about as good as it gets on that line. No need to pay for 2Mbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Clanc

I suppose my question was really whether the router should be telling me that I am actually on a 2MB line? Should it not read something like 2056/256?

The speed was certainly visibly faster up to recently.

Here are the more detailed statistics. Should I be claiming back some money if they have had me on al ower speed package?

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 992 256
    SN Margin (dB) 6.00 7.50
    Line Attenuation (dB) 61.50 31.50
    CRC Errors 23396 0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

bit of rain got in somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭bungholio

wind blew some components away

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Eircom have you on the right product but your line stats suggest that your line is not capable of the higher speeds.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

Clanc wrote:
    I suppose my question was really whether the router should be telling me that I am actually on a 2MB line? Should it not read something like 2056/256?

No, the router (or modem) tells you what speed it has synched at. This is anything from 256kbps up to whatever package eircom has sold you, depending on the quality of the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It doesn't necessarily mean your line isn't capable. It has happened to me before, Sometimes a reboot can fix it, or a phone call to Eircom.

The quality of the line isn't static, so when you're resetting the modem it can temporarily synch at a higher speed but over time the modem will lower the speed to something sustainable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Aigh i have the 2mb package and get a max of 1.7mb down as im far from the exchange gonna change to 1mb tbh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Aigh i have the 2mb package and get a max of 1.7mb down as im far from the exchange gonna change to 1mb tbh

1.7 is not a bad figure at all for a 2mb product - lots of people would be very happy with that - no isp guarantees the full speed - dont forget that you are paying for a contended product.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

2mb through the eircom port = 1.75 ot 1.8mb from your computer. remember more info needs to be transmitted over the raw transmission on the line and through the DSLAM than just the data it contains

Advertisement