Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking and relationships

Options
  • 03-12-2006 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here's attempts to start/maintain a relationship been damaged due to being a smoker? Lets face it, while there are loads of non-smokers out there who have no problem with dating a smoker, there are plenty of non smoking girls (and guys I'm sure) that would spit in your filthy cancerous face rather than consider dating a smoker. I'm lucky myself, I've only ever gone out with one smoker and the rest were fine with it. Has anyone here lost out in this regard because of being a smoker? Would it be another major incentive to quit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Don't know about quitting but i've been going out with a girl for only 2 weeks now and she kills me for smoking even though she's a social smoker herself. I tend to smoke a lot while i'm driving and she won't let me smoke in my own car while she's in it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

I wouldn't quit just for the sake of a relationship and that's from experience. She was ok with me smoking at the beginning but then after a few months the urging me to quit started and then it was nagging. We split up eventually but my view is that if the other person knows you smoke at the beginning of a relationship they shouldn't be coming along a few months down the line ragging on at you about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

zippy28 wrote:
    Don't know about quitting but i've been going out with a girl for only 2 weeks now and she kills me for smoking even though she's a social smoker herself. I tend to smoke a lot while i'm driving and she won't let me smoke in my own car while she's in it. :(

That's madness man especially since she has the odd smoke herself. You'll have to get her to smoke more socially and get her hooked :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I'm a fairly heavy smoker, and my boyfriend hates smoking.

I made it clear, from the start, that I had no intention of giving up. Yet, he complains regularly about the smell of smoke ( even though no-one else can smell it off me), and the health risks.

Its a pain in the ass.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Maybe he's just concerned about your health.

• Advertisement
Advertisement