Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Astra

Options
  • 03-12-2006 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

Has anybody got one? What are they like? Do you think alloys would look good on one? Any comments helps, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Very vague question.

Firstly which year and model engine size are you refering to.

Handling excellent.
    Performance good
    Reliability very good
    Running costs very good
    MPG good
    Stlying - depends on the owner, alloys look good on any car.

New Astra is far better than the older model it replaced.

Try and go for a diesel as well.

And if you won the lotto over the weekend and are looking for a new Astra, splash out and get the OPC Astra with 237bhp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I had a 1.4 ,99 astra and an 1.7 dti astravan ,great car and well built and insulated from road noise.
    They are good to go when you are in a hurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Had a 99 1.4 and a 01 1.6 Sport. Both fine cars especially the 1.6.

The new CDTi diesels are fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭dsrckiyisvddht

Its a '99 model with a 1.4. Thanks for the info anyway. Just got my full licence there and got a quote for €1400 TPFT as the only driver which is pretty sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

furtzy wrote:
    The new CDTi diesels are fantastic

Yes, all Fiat engines these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Its a '99 model with a 1.4. Thanks for the info anyway. Just got my full licence there and got a quote for €1400 TPFT as the only driver which is pretty sweet.

Make sure you go for the Club or Elegance model as it will have more toys such as heated electric mirrors, stereo controls on the steering wheel, alloy wheels, front fog lights and sunroof. At this stage these will cost you nothing extra over the basic GL model but will make it more desirable when you go to sell it on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

good car

main thing to watch is that timing belt was done

astra petrol engine has been known to snap timing belt before service interval

Thanks bazz and ratchet. Will look out for these when buying.

bazz26 wrote:
    Make sure you go for the Club or Elegance model as it will have more toys such as heated electric mirrors, stereo controls on the steering wheel, alloy wheels, front fog lights and sunroof. At this stage these will cost you nothing extra over the basic GL model but will make it more desirable when you go to sell it on again.

Mind is a club model and it has all of the above.

I highly recommend it.

Timing belt and water pump must be changed every 40k miles so check for that, and the head gasket may have been changed as well.

After that check out www.astra-sport.co.uk for further info and technical support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 a.j.g.

Have a 00 1.4 club. Nice car and was very reliable till last week. Head gasket went with just 95,000 miles on clock. Close to a grand to fix!:eek:

• Advertisement

a.j.g. wrote:
    Have a 00 1.4 club. Nice car and was very reliable till last week. Head gasket went with just 95,000 miles on clock. Close to a grand to fix!:eek:

Near a grand to replace a head gasket. Someone is taking you for a ride around the block and back.

You must have continued to drive the car with a head gasket that was badly gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Agree wioth most of the posts.

I bought a 98 Astra way back in 2000 with 16,000 miles. Girlfriend is still driving it away good-o as was I until a few months ago, not a thing wrong with it. Was a 1.4 GL hatchback with alloys, looked great with a good set of alloys and when clean, still does to be honest.

As others have said, pay attention to the timing belt and higher mileage astras can blow head gasket very easliy, so be mindful of this. If you look after it, it will look and drive great and last you a long time.

kluivert wrote:

After that check out www.astra-sport.co.uk for further info and technical support.

Thanks for the link! Lots of good info and car pictures on there. Thinking of modifying mine a small bit when I get one. :D

Advertisement