Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

jobs in aus

• 03-12-2006 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭

I was wondering what is the difference in what you earn in australia as oposed to Ireland in qc/lab/science/pharma type jobs and is the working environment and pressure more or less than ireland?

Also what kind of money do fitness/ personal trainers earn?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

My unqualified answer would be that the pay is not as high in Australia as it is in Ireland BUT the cost of living is lower here so it all comes out in the wash. Although this is not set in stone. Obviously there are certain professions with a shortage of highly trained professionals and that is reflected in the level of remuneration.

IMO I think Aussies and Irish work as hard as each other but Irish people like to let their hair down much more after a hard day at the office. ;)

As for what Personal Trainers earn you may need to ask someone in the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

From what I've seen, administrative workers and clerical jobs tend to earn less than in Ireland, but only based on the exchange rate. Skilled workers can earn a little less, but still a good rate. As dSTAR says, the cost of living is lower.

Here's the main page from payscale.com that indicates median earnings:

http://www.payscale.com/research/AU/Country=Australia/Salary

The above looks pretty accurate to me on the administrative and clerical jobs, but a little shy on the potential for IT and engineering work - as with everywhere, you'll get paid more in the cities, but cities are more expensive to live in.

Minimum wage is higher and more broadly enforced than in Ireland.

Just look at the house prices - Australians have a good quality of life, but seriously if they were all living like kings, we'd have all moved there long ago. So if you can buy a 5-bedroom house in the suburbs with wood-floor finishes and marble countertops throughout for $300,000, or about €180,000, then you can be sure that's about the prices that two blue collar workers with successful careers can afford on their wages.

The Aussies have also cottoned on to the attractiveness of their country (must be the fact that all the ones over here keep telling us how great it is, then going back home again :D ). Subsequently competition for jobs in the cities is hotting up, and property prices are rising. I know because I've been watching Oz with one eye for three years, waiting for my chance to move there. The rental prices in Melbourne are going up and up - I think they're at the gradual start of the property boom that I missed the boat on in both Ireland and England.

Advertisement