Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 Network coverage

• 03-12-2006 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭

I got a Nokia 6233 with 3 a few weeks ago and i'm constantly having problems with the network. about half the messages I send fail to deliver, no network coverage is normal. Also, when a link on their phone web page thingy works it's surprising. I reckon that works about a quarter of the time. Anyone else having problems with the 3 network (not customer service) or is it just me? This is happening within the M50 in dublin, it's not like i'm living in the bog arse of nowhere.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Maybe you got a dud phone? 3 has a national roaming agreement with Vodafone, so even if you did live out in the sticks, it ought to work fine (minus video calling).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Jam Man

Sounds like a dud phone

I drive a fair bit around Red Cow, to Sandyford, and to Malahide and Clontarf and can't remember the last time I dropped a call....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I think the problems arise with Three constantly looking for a 3G signal. I know at home, I was constantly changing between GSM and 3G (automatically, not doing it myself) and this was affecting my coverage stability. Most phones allow you to switch to GSM only. I think Three UK remove this feature, and I would assume Three Ireland do the same, so it may be worth your while to get the generic firmware on the phone. Most phone unlocking shops can do this. Downside is that you will probably lose access to the Three portal.

You're right about it preferring a 3G signal, however that still should not cause the problems described if the phone is working okay. I have a Sony Ericsson K610im, and I have it set up to prefer 3G. It's always looking for a 3G signal as a result, and I often move in and out of 3G coverage.

It's never caused a problem for me.

It's caused problems if I were doing something while it changed, such as being on a call, sending a text etc.

Granted, I only bought a cheap phone to see what they were like when the launched (E1000. Cheap and a Motorola. Not a good combo).

To be honest, I don't think there is a network in Ireland that has bad coverage. Yes, there are parts of Ireland that have crap coverage but that's due to the geography of the area more so than the network.

• Advertisement

I haven't had any of these problems while being on a call and leaving a 3G area at the same time. That being said, my 3G phone is with O2 and not 3, but I think it's a handset issue and not network related. I definitely have heard of some earlier handsets in particular as well as older firmware or faulty phones causing issues like this.

Kind of off topic, but in my opinion the 3G phones on the market now are the first 3G phones that are actually useable. Everything before either had glitches, horrendous battery life, huge dimensions, or all of the above!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

^^ I still think battery life could be a lot better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

The usual story with the battery life is that the newer 3g phones have power hungry LCD's ,which is true, but most likely reason for the low batter life is the constant searching for the 3g signal when outside the coverage.

I have an N80 and I use it on 2G only. Easily get 2 days out of the battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

2 days? That's not very good :(
    My Panasonic GD30 did better than that... 6 years ago...

• Advertisement

Did your Panasonic have a big VGA screen, wi-fi, a 3.2 Megapixel camera and Email support over GPRS, all of which would be used regularly?

Just out of curiousity :)

I use a Nokia 6680 on 2G (no 3G in my area) and get 6 days. No kidding, honestly! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

chrislad wrote:
    Did your Panasonic have a big VGA screen, wi-fi, a 3.2 Megapixel camera and Email support over GPRS, all of which would be used regularly?
    It had... SMS... and a clock! :D

But still, that's a lot less than Nokia's alleged "up to 192 hours". I take it you use these features *a lot*, and make a lot of calls?

I get about a day and a half with regular use on my v3x
    never going for a motorola again...
    though if i charge it every night it makes no difference to me

1huge1 wrote:
    I get about a day and a half with regular use on my v3x
    never going for a motorola again...
    though if i charge it every night it makes no difference to me
    Yeah that's pretty much all you get out of one. It sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Jam Man

I see their '3Store' is open on Henry Street now

Maybe take it there and see if they'll swap it for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Thanks for the help. Was onto the customer service, think i might have to head down to that new shop!

so thats cork,waterford and dublin that have 3stores now, any others?
    i think the limerick one is going opposite cruises st on O Connel St but i could be mistaken
    any inside info?

1huge1 wrote:
    so thats cork,waterford and dublin that have 3stores now, any others?
    i think the limerick one is going opposite cruises st on O Connel St but i could be mistaken
    any inside info?

There's only two places I can think of, off the top of my head. Opposite HMV where the Santa place is now or right in between Meteor and O2, opposite the Bank of Ireland, where Sherry Fitzgearld used to be.

Advertisement