Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

librarything.com

Options
  • 04-12-2006 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭

I found this recently while trawling the net.

http://www.librarything.com

Has anyone else tried it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I'd heard of it before but it's great to be reminded again! I might do it some time although it would take ages - I have far too many books!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

simu wrote:
    I have far too many books!

And I have more. Combined our collection is nearly onto it's seventh bookshelf. We're running out of space in the apartment....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I know the feeling. When I moved to Dublin I sent about two carloads of books home to my parents house. The ones listed on librarything are the ones I currently have in Dublin. It's scary how many you find lying around the apartment.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I don't know how many books I have stacked up here. Whenever there seems like too many I flog the slowest in the herd on ebay. It helps to continually refine the collection, save space, and make a few quid ;)

BossArky wrote:
    I don't know how many books I have stacked up here. Whenever there seems like too many I flog the slowest in the herd on ebay. It helps to continually refine the collection, save space, and make a few quid ;)

I can't bring myself to sell any of my books. Even the crap ones. It's becoming a problem, we're going to have to start putting bookshelves in the bathroom in the new year by the looks of things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

I'm on librarything - my profile is here. It's very handy alright, although I have yet to sit down and tag all my books properly. As I'm a postgrad and many of us in the class need the same books, we use the site to share our libraries, as it is - we know who owns what if we need it.

It's amazing how distracting such a site is when you have an assignment to be writing....

Made a start on adding books: http://www.librarything.com/catalog.php?view=nesf

I'm sure you'll recognise quite a few of the physics covers dudara... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

nesf wrote:

It's strangely interesting comparing your collection to someone else's, but isn't this merely a way of converting literature into statistics and percentages - making it more pop-chart, talk radio, computer friendly?

(And I think you may have a misprint - 'Lig sinn i gCathú' rather than 'Cath'. Sorry for pedantry!)

UB wrote:
    It's strangely interesting comparing your collection to someone else's, but isn't this merely a way of converting literature into statistics and percentages - making it more pop-chart, talk radio, computer friendly?

I'm thinking of it being useful for either checking your collection for a book, as your collection gets bigger it's easy to double-buy stuff, and for between friends/collegues where each can search through the other's books and see if they have something they would like to read.

I think the statistics on the site are fun/amusing but apart from using them to check other libraries of people who read similar stuff to myself (which is a good way of finding new books in real life anyways) I don't really think that they are a big deal.
    UB wrote:
    (And I think you may have a misprint - 'Lig sinn i gCathú' rather than 'Cath'. Sorry for pedantry!)

The catalogue is of my and simu's books, all the Irish books are her's I'll get her to look at it. Though atm, there are a lot of errors, some of the titles are in the wrong language. We'll be checking for errors once we get our books up there, we have only a fraction of them up at the moment tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Oul Wan

That's very interesting. I might try that out. For years I've been hoarding books and I'd agree that it does get to the stage where I end up buying things that I already have. The reason for that is that I might buy four/five books at a time and only get to read 3 of them before I buy the next lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

BossArky wrote:

That's the same as me with my cd collection - should really do a clean out soon again..
    I used to be part of the library in Cork but esp since moving to Dublin, I am buying my books to keep.. I would like to buy some of the books I've already read too..
    Maybe I will sell some of the cds on ebay and spend my paypal earnings on books -hey, thats a damn good idear!! ;):D

Speaking of buying books, can anyone recommend a good site for buying them? I've used www.bookfinder.com but just wondering are there any more good ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

Oul Wan wrote:
    Speaking of buying books, can anyone recommend a good site for buying them? I've used www.bookfinder.com but just wondering are there any more good ones.
    I've always used amazon and ebay up until now. Just had a look at bookfinder - great site!! I found another site link through it www.biblio.com - some super bargains on there!
    www.cdwow.ie have just started selling books online too.
    It's always nice to go to a bookstore though too and send time browsing! :)

It's always nice to go to a bookstore though too and send time browsing!

I agree. Once a month I go on a book trawl with a few friends. We start out in the morning, break for coffee at some stage to discuss our purchases, and then keep going till early evening. :)

I hadn't looked at www.biblio.com. Thanks for that.

Advertisement