Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom's S**tty DNS Servers

Options
  • 04-12-2006 1:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

i hate eircom so much, ive been trying to access a site that i run and eircom's crappy dns servers keep stating that "server cannot be found" has anyone else gotta problem with their dns?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Try this one 213.94.190.194

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 n0tsane

There is a DOS on dns directed from netgear routers, the only way to stop it is to upgrade the firmware. this is affecting all ISP's. Happened with IBB today but was stoped by thier sys admin. It has been affecting all DNS servers today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 seanie16

its been goin on 4 weeks now nd im so pissed off...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

You could try OpenDNS: www.opendns.com
    IP Addresses: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

seanie16 wrote:
    i hate eircom so much, ive been trying to access a site that i run and eircom's crappy dns servers keep stating that "server cannot be found" has anyone else gotta problem with their dns?

What is the site?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 seanie16

ive already used the opendns but they are so slow for playing online games (as i am an addicted cs player) and it is just a pain to keep changing .... the site is www.tv-nation.com .. not sure if im allowed to post this....it isnt illegal but some people do this that

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Oracle wrote:
    You could try OpenDNS: www.opendns.com
    IP Addresses: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

while its nice and all I had to give up using the service as it wouldn't allow me to access a number of sites that I can access on any other dns servers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

just populate your dns with as many open dns server's as possible.

NTL/Eircom/Esat etc

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

seanie16 wrote:
    ive already used the opendns but they are so slow for playing online games (as i am an addicted cs player) and it is just a pain to keep changing .... the site is www.tv-nation.com .. not sure if im allowed to post this....it isnt illegal but some people do this that
    Works fine for me and I'm using eircom's DNS servers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

CuLT wrote:
    Works fine for me and I'm using eircom's DNS servers.

Surely there has to be some restraint in initiating or at least titling this type of thread - I am not a fan of Eircom by any means but if boards is to be anyways reputable there has to be some restraint for want of a better word.

There is absolutely no evidence that Eircom (or any other isp for that matter bar UTV from time to time!) suffer from 'crappy' dns servers - if there was a problem then boards would be full of posts on the subject.

Similarly there is an increasing number of threads started by people having trouble with 'X'''s wireless internet service when for the most part X do not provide a wireless internet service and the troubles in question are with router settings.

There is sadly more than enough to bash the various isps over without these type of threads.

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote:
    Surely there has to be some restraint in initiating or at least titling this type of thread - I am not a fan of Eircom by any means but if boards is to be anyways reputable there has to be some restraint for want of a better word.

You're not a fan of anyone really.

Most of the time it's a lack of technical knowledge that leads the user to inserting a misleading thread title.

I don't think mods should have to babysit the wording of a thread title.

It maybe in this case it's not an issue with Ericom's DNS but eircom more so than most ISP's are generally known for having "flakey" DNS servers.

ntlbell wrote:
    You're not a fan of anyone really.

Most of the time it's a lack of technical knowledge that leads the user to inserting a misleading thread title.

I don't think mods should have to babysit the wording of a thread title.

It maybe in this case it's not an issue with Ericom's DNS but eircom more so than most ISP's are generally known for having "flakey" DNS servers.

I wasn't so much suggesting that the mods look at the title of each thread as that people might be a bit more responsible in their postings.

Where's the evidence for Eircom having ''flakey'' DNS servers?

dub45 wrote:
    I wasn't so much suggesting that the mods look at the title of each thread as that people might be a bit more responsible in their postings.

Where's the evidence for Eircom having ''flakey'' DNS?

You and you're fecking evidence.

I heard it on Joe Duffy.

ntlbell wrote:
    You and you're fecking evidence.

I heard it on Joe Duffy.

I apologise for asking you to backup something that you claimed - that really is asking far too much of you:rolleyes:

dub45 wrote:
    I apologise for asking you to backup something that you claimed - that really is asking far too much of you:rolleyes:

Dub, it's a stupid question.

I've worked with various ISP's over the last nine years or so.

I've purchased Terabyte after Terabyte of transit from various ISP's.

I've worked with hundreds of network engineer's and sys admins over those 9 years.

Now bar asking you to ring my wife who can tell you wonderfull stories of me being woken at 4am on a sunday morning to attend an issue that was caused by a "flakey" Ericom DNS sever I'm not sure what proof I can provide you.

But it's a fairly well known fact amongst most net/sys admin in Ireland and probably beyond!

Maybe I should go on Joe Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Maybe you are talking about the issue where x moves hosting from eircom,but neglects to tell Eircom?
    The other thing that happens is a hoster may not change the ttl or refresh times of a host pior to its ip being changed- this can problems all right

dub45 wrote:
    Ask a sysadmin!

We frequently had problems with outgoing mail which we found to be a problem with eircoms DNS servers looking up MX records.

The problem stopped when we changed DNS servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

If you don't like a particular ISP's dns server, just setup your own one.
    Would this not solve your problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

dub45 wrote: »
    Where's the evidence for Eircom having ''flakey'' DNS servers?

Well I'm sick to the high teeth of it. Over 2 months now my F5 button is practically worn out. Time to start looking at other dns servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

To be fair, I've been in the IT industry for 16 years now, last 8 here in Dublin. My personal experience is simply this: Eircom have flakey DNS servers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

And digging up 2 year old threads is normally a no no but seeing as we are €iron bashing then yeah they have usually got servers that are half asleep... try open dns servers

Google is thy friend

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

I started using the open DNS servers yesterday and since then ZERO issues. Highly recommended solution for anyone fed up with eircoms dodgy DNS servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

edit

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

oh for feck sake, this thread is over two years old

die thread die!
    Gremlin, don't drag up old threads again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement