Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharps disposal in Cork

• 04-12-2006 6:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My wife has to take injections reguarly as part of her medical condition. Trouble is nobody knows where to dispose of the sharps containers. We asked at the doctors reception and even at the chemist where she gets her drugs and they didn't know. I wonder would anybody know where we could drop off a few full boxes.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

I don't know if they deal with private individuals, but Sterile Technologies Group remove the clinical waste at CUH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Your doctor and local pharmacy should have to accept them I believe. Are you supplied with sharps bins from the pharmacy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

damien.m wrote:
    Your doctor and local pharmacy should have to accept them I believe. Are you supplied with sharps bins from the pharmacy?

We got the sharps bins sent down from Sorono in Dublin. The pharmacy on Grand Parade that suppies the drugs wont take them back nor do they know anyone who does. The same with the Doctor's receptionist. I called the MS society here in Cork and they gave me a disconnected mobile number for the Sorono nurse in Cork and an unattended landline number for Sorono in Dublin. I called CUH and they put me through to the unattended office of Dr Sweeny's nuerology department. The search goes on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

try posting under the biology and medicine section. might be a dr there that would know... i would have thought the gp would take them when he would be writing the prescription etc for ye...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

CUH has a clinical waste incinerator... not sure if its for public use but i'm sure if you enquire they'd help out.

T.Sc.
    nah sir, clinical waste is removed and disposed of off site. much is burried in france, or so i believe.

maybe call outpatients?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

You could ask the Council - they should know (fingers crossed they do!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

check your pm danger mouse

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kenneam

Your pharmacy should be able to dispose of them- try asking around maybe in another one. They should also be able to supply you with another sharps box. Hope this helps:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Ring CUH and ask for their Infection Control Department.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭trixter

Tree wrote:
    nah sir, clinical waste is removed and disposed of off site. much is burried in france, or so i believe.

At least they found a suitable location for it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 MMW

There was a similar question posted in jumble town

http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=5615

Hope this helps

Advertisement