Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas presents for 7 yr old boy and Girl...Help!

Options
  • 04-12-2006 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi Parents,

I'm looking for a bit of advice here and hope I'm in the right section.

Work is involved with a charity which collects presents for kids for xmas. There is a tree in the entrance hall with cards on it with kids names and ages, so I picked two seven year olds, one boy and one girl and then headed to Dundrum town centre to pick up some presents...piece of cake!!

Anyway, after 2 hours wandering the toy/book/sports/music stores I came home empty handed and stressed out. I now realise I know nothing about 7 yr olds.

What reading level are 7 yr olds at?
    Are they into books at all?
    Are girls still into Teddy bears at 7?
    Are kids more into music than toys at 7?

I had a load more questions on saturday, but can't think of them now.

I wanted to get a few things for each kid, coz i always remember at xmas there was more fun in opening a load of smaller gifts, than one big gift.

So I was thinking, roughly, for the girl:
    Some sort of teddy
    a book or two
    stickers or something like that
    etc

For the Boy:
    A ball
    A book or 2
    A board game/ Puzzle from Arts and Hobby
    etc

So...Am I way off the mark? I know all kids are different, but if anyone could even point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

I'm going with roughly €100 per kid.

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

boots have nifty little football practise kit, with ball, gloves, cones, shin guards - 14 yoyos or thereabouts - my 7 year old is getting this.

not toogood on 7n year old girls, other than knowing bratz dolls are still big with them

hth

ad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Lego.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,193 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

My son is 7 and he is getting Lego (he absolutely loves the City range and the Ferrari range!). He also loves books about cars/machines/planets/geography. I am getting him a National Geographic planentarium.

I would be doing my shopping on the Internet rather than stresssing yourself out going to shopping centres!

Not too sure about what to get girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

My Daughter is 7.

Books for this age ... The Rainbow Fairy range - currently buy one get one free in both Borders and Eason. Also popular is Rohal Dahl , such as The Magic Finger, Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Dont get teddys for kids. Some kids are Asthmatic and cant have teddys/stuffed toys. So err on the side of caution and steer clear.

Most - if not all - seven year old girls like Bratz. So pretty safe there.

Anything Pink and glittery would go down well. Stickers and Fancy Paper still a hit.

Another good idea is to get pyjamas - pennys/dunnes do a good range of character pyjamas. Kids still like them.

Most seven year olds like Harry Potter. But the books would be a bit hard for them to read themselves. But you can get audio books, and plenty of themed accessories.

My nephew is six - he loves anything with Superheros on it!! Batman, Superman, X-Men etc etc. Horrid Henry is a great book for boys of that age. They would also like R.Dahl. And you really could not go far wrong with Lego for either boys or girls. I would also recommend getting Pyjamas for the boy too. Pennys do a great range of "dressing up pyjamas" along with the accessories to match them.

I would not get Art & Craft stuff as it needs an adult's help in most stuff and not all parents like to do this.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Flinty

Thanks everyone, some super suggestions there. i think I'm all set now.

Cheers for your help...the pressure is now off :D

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Sorry, one last Question. I'm not sure why this matters, but I just want to ask if 7 yr olds still believe in Santa?

Cheers

Flinty wrote:
    Hi all,

Sorry, one last Question. I'm not sure why this matters, but I just want to ask if 7 yr olds still believe in Santa?

Cheers

Oh yes... he usually manages to hand in till about 5th class in primary..so about 11/12 ... but yes deff 7year olds still believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

OP,

Fair play to you - you're extremely generous and obviously putting a lot of careful thought into this. They'll be two very lucky children!

Crayola sets - 7 year old girls especially love them and parental help not necessary, all sorts of lovely sets out there. Stamp and inkpad sets are particularly popular and not that expensive.
    Some fashion design change the plate, colour in type thingies too.

PJ's great idea, also lego for both boy and girl, excellent toys that have far more possibility for playing with than a Bratz doll but the girl would love the Bratz doll.

How about "Horrible Histories" or some other books like that for the boy? My younger brother used to love them. Any sort of factual type book really for a boy. You already have suggestions for girls' books.

Board games are always good, they'll have an age guide on them too to help pick right one. Good clean family fun!

I hope you have a warm fuzzy feeling on Christmas morning knowing you are making two children so happy. Get yourself a little treat too and enjoy it, you deserve it!

Thanks a lot Dame. Its actually been a lot of fun. I'm single this year and only have the folks and a sister to buy for, so there is a few bob in the christmas fund.

Anyway, went shopping last night and here's the final list... Thanks everyone for your help.

Boy
    Fantastic Mr Fox Book
    3 X Horrid Henry Books
    Football combo from boots
    Marbles
    Toy Soldier set
    Super hero luchbox thingy
    Lego City Fire Truck
    Lego City Police Boat
    Jigsaw map of the world

Girl
    The Magic Finger book
    2 x Rainbow fairy books
    Bratz Doll
    Sticker and paper set thingy
    Jewelery making kit
    Crayola Doodle Doug
    Jigsaw map

I have also bought 2 boxes, so am going to wrap each present individually, then put them in the box and wrap that.

It's been a bit of a buzz
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,193 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Good selection... well done

• Advertisement

Excellent lists !! They are going to love them. And great idea to put them all in a big box. Your right kids will love lots of bits as opposed to one big thing.

Hope you get some excellent Karma from this... you did a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

That sounds fantastic. As for the Santa thing - hell yes!

Advertisement