Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony Ericsson K750i or K610im

• 04-12-2006 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Finn Dub

O2 are doing both these phones on Speak easy for €149, does anybody have any opinions on which is the better buy?

Cheers,
    Finn

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

have a look @ the sonyericsson site
    you can do a comparision of all features on the 2 phones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I was having the same debate as you.

In the end went with the k610im for two reasons:

1) It doesnt have a joystick which a lot of people say is a total nightmare
    2) Same camera but a newer phone

However it does have a shorter battery life.

Still waiting for mine though. Silly o2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I went for the K610im because it's newer, smaller and lighter. It also has 3G, so it's more "future proof", not to mention I wanted push email, which it has but the K750i does not.

So far, I am very happy with my decision, and this thing is light, only 89 grams! All round, this is the best phone I have ever owned.

All that being said, the K750i has auto focus, meaning the camera is better, though the resolution is the same (both 2 megapixels).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Not necessarily. I'm not sure exactly about Lithium Polymer batteries (what Sony Ericsson use in most their phones), but Li-ion batteries slowly lose their capacity from the day they're made, regardless if they're used or not.

The chances the K750i's have been lying around much longer than the K610im's are quite high.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Finn Dub

Is the camera mode similar on both, i.e. do you turn it horizontal to use the camera like traditional cameras?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

is the k620im better then the k800i?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Finn Dub wrote:
    Is the camera mode similar on both, i.e. do you turn it horizontal to use the camera like traditional cameras?

On the K610im anyway, it's like that, and you get a dedicated shutter button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

K610i is better in that it's lighter shoutman, but worse as the camera isn't as good. The quality of the screen on the K800i is also far superior.

Between the K750i and the K610im go for the K610im unless you really want the radio! 3G speeds and email .. along with improved iMode services when O2 ever launch them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Turn 3G off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

That was based on the o2 websites own discussions on battery life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I can't see iMode being that useful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

unfortunately I just found out that the K610im isn't available as a pay monthly phone, only as a speakeasy one. How ridiculous is that!

shoutman wrote:
    unfortunately I just found out that the K610im isn't available as a pay monthly phone, only as a speakeasy one. How ridiculous is that!
    @shoutman - bloody stupid is what it is!

@TempestSabre - they're launching Napster music downloading in the next week or so... it'll kick off no doubt :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

got my K610im yesterday morning and briefly played it all along. it's a good looking phone and i wasn't expecting much, just a phone that i can make good calls with decent i-mail. :confused:

tried the i-mail thing in the evening, was good alrite. but last nite it won't connect at all. until now :mad: . rang support, went through the settings and didn't manage to get it fixed.

dropped in nearest O2 store during lunch and the staff went through the settings again wt O2 support line. nahhh, it's not fixed and they don't know why it's not working! unfortunately, i have to wait their call. nothing came up yet since lunch.

overall, it's a nice phone :D but i'm going mad as the i-mode is not working now!

btw, i hv the 3G mode on, battery full charged yesterday noon and now nearly used up. less than 2 days wt not much usage thou.

Mart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

tried putting any video files on the phone and watching them? If so whats it like? Have you tried hooking it up to your pc yet ever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

hiya

rang O2 support again and had this very nice helpful lad managed to fix the issue. he got to tech and reset my i-mode profile on their server. it works now! it wasn't the phone hvg issues! :D am so glad that i can use the i-mail thingy. have my usual e-mail setup to forward to my i-mail, so it's like hvg a blackberry for cheap. :p

yes, i hooked up the K610im to my pc but didn't try much the suite stuff. the video is alrite. now it's time to beef up the mobile wt annoying ringtones! :cool:

Mart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Cunny-Funt wrote:
    tried putting any video files on the phone and watching them? If so whats it like? Have you tried hooking it up to your pc yet ever?
    Video files you put on the K610im wont play at all, they will show up with a document icon to the left of the file name, and the only thing you can do with them is to send them off via bluetooth..

Thanks for bringing up this thread...I'm having the same dilemma between the two.

The only reason I'm not going for the k750i is the lack of push email....is there any alternative to this for it?

Also the k610i was only €99 (with €70 credit) on the o2 site a week or so back but its disappeared from the site now :(

Thanks for bringing up this thread...I'm having the same dilemma between the two.

The only reason I'm not going for the k750i is the lack of push email....is there any alternative to this for it?

Also the k610i was only €99 (with €70 credit) on the o2 site a week or so back but its disappeared from the site now :(

It was €49 on speakeasy upgrade when you ported your number over. Guess it's gone for good now and that they will replace it with the imode phone SE K550im.

Is that a better or worse phone , in your opinion, that the k610i?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭corkproducers

One issue with the K610im is....
    its not J2ME compliant!
    It uses a newever version of Java called Dojo java or something like that.
    What does this mean?
    You cant install java games or applications.
    there are only a few Dojo Java games on the net but theyre just basic games made my programmers at home.

the only way to make it run J2ME applications is to downgrade the firmware to the K610i firmware.
    You will loose i-mode but gain the use of J2ME, and also get facewarp.

Other than that its a great phone.

Oh and there is no update for itwith the Sony Ericson Update program.
    Cant see them being arsed to support J2ME in a firmware update tbh.

i-mail is the only reason I'd get the k610im over the k750i. However I notice that the k750i has an email inbox and settings for pop access. Does this work on the o2 network though? Anybody out there use this?

My brother got a SE on vodafone and although the phone has an email inbox, pop settings etc I believe you have to be on contract in order to be able to use it....is it the same thing with o2?

I'd be grateful for any feedback in this regard! Cheers

You can setup pop3 email on the k750i (you may need to activate the internet apn with data support on 1850601740).

Downsides over k610im?
    - you're charged 1c per KB
    - you need to set your device to check every x mins, or check manually
    - the k610im is free to recieve email in ireland

Upsides?
    - cheaper to send shorter emails (1c per KB over 15c per imail)
    - supports your own pop3 account rather than being stuck with the o2 one

The battery on my K610im has gone all ballistics - after 6 weeks. I haven't started to charge until at least 5% left of it, and still, now the battery won't even last one day... Can I claim this back under o2 warranty or is it impossible to prove that this is a faulty battery? New original SE batteries are just 12 euro off ebay, but I just want to know if I should file a complaint re this?

File a complaint? Bring the phone into an O2 shop with your reciept and they'll no doubt sort it out if it's faulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭corkproducers

flodis79 wrote:
    The battery on my K610im has gone all ballistics
    My battery isnt the greatest either.
    If im using it a lot it will last a day max, ill get 2 days out of it from normal use.
    I bought it fairly new from a friend for 45 bucks so i cant complain.

Advertisement