Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Additives,cleansers and oils.

Options
  • 04-12-2006 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Are the additives that you see in motor factors any good ??
    What oil would be accepted as the best brand for most cars / vans ?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

thanks for the reply ,I read through that a while back .
    And a lot of other sites aswell ,also about the law suits brought against companies for claiming to reapair engines by using their additives.

I just thought there might be a common view here about such stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

What about those cleaners you add to a tank of petrol that supposedly clean your injectors and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Additives for engine aren't worth the money.
    Spend more on fully synth oil at the next service and top up with a better quality petrol for two or three tanks and take the car out for a 100 mile round trip at moderate revs - you'll get more benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

To be honest I think a lot of them additives are just money making scams. Modern cars are so well made they don't need things put into them to make them go better. If your worried about dirty injectors - fit a fuel filter, engine ware - use good oil. Back when you had to say a prayer in the morning for your car to start they where OK but not now.

I have a 93 car and all it gets is oil and petrol and I haven't had a bit of trouble. I know people who used them additives and their cars are in bits, may also be they are useless with cars aswell;) .

The manufactures of cars have their standard service intervals and recomended oil type. If they where wrong then people could sue, saying that my car was damaged by following your guidelines. Their service intervals may be considered conservitive as they have to cover all types of abuse from motorist etc.

If you think your car and van has problems bring it to a garage and ask them to check it out, they can tell you what if anything is wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement