Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skeptics stance on Religion

Options
  • 04-12-2006 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    What is the Irish Skeptics association stance on Religion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

http://www.irishskeptics.net/?page_id=101

Are Skeptics Anti-Religious?

No. People are sometimes concerned that skeptics are, by definition, anti-religious. This is not the case.

There are many skeptics who have religious beliefs and who distinguish clearly between questions concerning the material world (the realm of science), and a non-material world in which they believe and for which there is no physical evidence. Such belief is a matter of choice or faith and the majority of skeptics accept and respect this.

There are however, areas of overlap. If claims are made in the name of religion that concern physical phenomena and that can be tested, skeptics may engage in such testing. For example, claims of statues moving or of miraculous appearances or cures may be challenged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Hi,
    What is the Irish Skeptics association stance on Religion?

My opinion is that ISA would contend that whatever you believe is your own business.

When you make CLAIMS based on this they might ask you for some supporting evidence.

When you CHARGE MONEY and/or insist other people turn away from empirically verifiable methods based on these beliefs then they get really interested.

so if you religion suggests. "Love one another" then they have nothing to say on that.

If it suggests "loving means science comes second" even then you are probably okay.

If you go past "help me to spread love by donating to me" into. "I can do all sorts of stuff [insert paranormal claim] which will help you to love and that is why you should support me and reject this science which has no love at all" expect a great deal of skepticism.

Advertisement