Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selaing concrete

Options
  • 04-12-2006 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi

After this weekend's deluge I notice some slight dampness coming from below the outside wall into the one room. On further checking , there are some small cracks between the outside wall and the walkway.

Is there a way to seal these (and maybe the concrete wlakways around the house) with a concrete sealant so that water doesn't seep through or is absorbed by the walkway and then into the house??

The inside of the wall has now absorbed a bit of the moisture and there is a small bit of paint bubbling.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

GP wrote:
    Hi

After this weekend's deluge I notice some slight dampness coming from below the outside wall into the one room. On further checking , there are some small cracks between the outside wall and the walkway.

Is there a way to seal these (and maybe the concrete wlakways around the house) with a concrete sealant so that water doesn't seep through or is absorbed by the walkway and then into the house??

The inside of the wall has now absorbed a bit of the moisture and there is a small bit of paint bubbling.....

Water shouldn't get into the house this way. There should be a DPM in the floor to prevent this. If water was getting in by this means sealing the path would do little to help as water would still enter from the ground up. In wet weather like this the earth is consistantly saturated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭GP

Mellor wrote:
    Water shouldn't get into the house this way. There should be a DPM in the floor to prevent this. If water was getting in by this means sealing the path would do little to help as water would still enter from the ground up. In wet weather like this the earth is consistantly saturated.

Hi

There's a only a slight dampness ( about 2cm wide) at the joint between the floor and wall.

It looks to me like the small cracks on the outside of the wall (where it is joined by the footpath) are allowing a bit of water to seep in and then soak into the wall and a bit on the floor.

I know of the other crack sealants but I was wondering whter I should be using something a bit more resistan like concrete sealant.

Advertisement