Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winning in PE6?

Options
  • 04-12-2006 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

Right, my little brother has gotten PE6 on the PS2 recently. The little beggar constantly has the better of me, I can't just ever seem to beat him. Now what I'm looking for are some little used tactics and tricks that I can use to gain an upper hand! So tell me guys, how do I get good at Pro Ev? Do I stick with a particular team and learn them inside out? Are there any particular tactics that I should use? Bear in mind, my current tactic is to just slowly move the ball up the pitch in an intricate passing movement, only ever shooting if I get a chance at an open goal (a la Arse).

Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

I think I'd play a simillar style to you, I've always liked passing the ball right up to the six yard line and then tapping it in without my opponent getting a foot near the ball (not that it ever happens that often :D).
    I'm still getting used to PES6, but I think, formations wise, the best advice I could give is to go with 4-5-1. Something like this...
    GK

CB
    CB---LB
    -RWB

DMF
    --DMF

CMF
    --AMF
    AMF---
    CF
    I know it looks defensive, but if you play with a passing game it's not really. Because you've overloaded the midfield, you should always have plenty of options for passing the ball, and by *always* using pass and run you'll be over running your opponents defense with people. Both AMFs, the CMF and the RWB should be around your oppoenents box every time you get up there, and at least one of your DMFs should be hanging around just outside the box to clear up any balls that run loose. It should work perfectly with Arsenal, Inter or Barca.

Other tips? Hmm. I would learn at least one team inside out. Barca, Arsenal, Man U, Inter....any of the usual suspects. I think it's worth putting a little time in with a ML team if you don't already, and try figuring out a formation that suits you. That's really all I can think of, hope some of it helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Other than punching him, learn to beat a man with r2 moves.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

for me ive found some winning combinations in 4-3-3 against lesser players
    and 3-4-3 against some better players

4-3-3

GK

DF
    DF
    DF
    DF

MF
    MF

MF

FW
    FW

FW

or 3-4-3

GK

DF
    DF
    DF

MF
    MF

MF---MF

FW
    FW
    FW

i play a simple game, passing is the key, pace is the lock turner

Pick of team is vital, Real Madrid, Newcastle, Man United, Barcelona, Chelsea

pretty much you want a pacey striker and winger combo if not both sides, on at least one side

for example, if someone picks brazil, i pick england
    3-4-3 robinson, ferdinand, cole, other english defender, beckham (rwb) joe cole (lwb) Lampard Gerard (AMF) Owen, Crouch Rooney (Striker)

Rooney plays right attack behind beckham
    Owen in front of joe cole, passing play till about 2/3's up the pitch then look for either striker with the ball down the wing, owens pace is completely effective

another possibilty, maybe 4-3-3
    Chelsea

Standard chelsea backline
    in midfield switch out essien and makele and bring in ballack to play with lampard and robben

up front, shaun right phillips, drogba and schevchenko
    Ballack on the right, Robben on the left of midfield , wright phillips on the right, drogba on the left,

drogba's sheer power gets him inside and you wont believe how a through ball and wright phillips legs were so made for each other

these are just 2 good options, i recently played an offline game as chelsea with those tactics and won 7-0 against a mate whom i almost always have close matches with.

the right tactics unlock any team, im not saying they my tactics work all the time, but unless your opponent plays a super defensive game, 4-3-3 will work

if your opponent is possiblty better, or is attacking, 3-4-3 gives you wingbacks acting as an attacking 5-3-2

if you play this formation you will find yourself winning more balls, yet still having attacking options

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

oh and as for the only ever shoot if you have an open goal

edge of the box goals are quite possible, take the chance, not too much power, use R2 to control the player to angle your shot a bit more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭iloveireland

4 at the back. one sweeper and 3 in front of him. no left or right backs.
    2 in the middle and 4 up front.3 of them up as far as they can go and one behind.

it might look crazy but it is unreal and you wont let in any goals if your half decent.

brazil are the best with it. try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

3-5-2 With Liverpool

Reina
    Finnan - Hypia - Carragher
    Garcia (RWB) - Sissoko (just in front of DF) Alonso(CM) Riise (LWB)
    Gerrard (CAM)
    Kuyt - Bellamy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

@DeadParrot: do you use that setup playing online?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

never really play online. Tried it a few times but the lag just gave me a pain in the hole

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I tend to use the Left Wing more than the right one, somehow it's easier to run down for me. I play like this

GK

RB
    CB
    CB
    LB

DMF

CMF

AMF

SS
    CF
    LWF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dmigsy

I don't think formation is your problem. In my experience I don't think they make a huge difference. Just play one that you like. Personally I play a boring 442. As you play more you'll figure out what to tweak. Be a bit more adventurous when attacking. Shoot from outside the box occasionally, swing in the odd early cross. Breaking up your style will keep your opponent guessing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Doffaldinho

Keep practising, Try holding up the play until someone comes to you and pass, Making the play slower and then suddenly going all out attack will keep them confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Buy the expert guide. It's brilliant. Really thorough outline of moves (SO many more than you get from the manual) and tactics/strategies. Practise, practise, practise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

Where did you pick up the expert guide?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

its only 8euro in game in their sale. well worth it for all the little bits and pieces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I gotta agree with the people who have been saying wing play. A nice pacy team and wing play is a great combo. Set you forwards a little further up the field than a standard 4-4,2 formation gives and they will be in the right place when you cross it into the box. Also, learn when a long through ball is called for off your defensive breaks as this can give a nice easy 1 on 1 chance to score.

Set piece practice is another must. To be honest, if you get a free kick just outside the box then you have a seriously good chance of cracking in a goal if you pick the right kicker. I actually don't think I have never NOT scored from a free kick near the box with old pie loving Figo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dysart

I always find also is be patient passing up as far as midfield and then look for a striker in a good position and hold down the through ball button for a second or two. It usually always cuts the defence apart, rather than tapping it. This way the through ball becomes a lot longer pass and usually picks the better positioned player. Works for me anyhow and i was crap before that move :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Well I paid €17.99 for the bloody thing in HMV!!! Ah well. Definitely worth it for all the extra moves, tactics and inside info on what strategies work and why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

Cool, must pick it up. And use the map on the screen. Essential when you're playing, perfect for those through balls and knowing when the play the long ball (and who to head it down to).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

For those that arent interested in buying the guide I'll give ye the best move in it.

Secret Low Cross: When running towards the goal in a crossing position hold the d-pad in the direction of the touch line and hit pass. the ball will be put low across the goal mouth. I use this alot online and it's gotten me so many goals.

Triple Tapping the cross button does the same thing, Slurms, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

SofaKing wrote:
    Triple Tapping the cross button does the same thing, Slurms, no?
    Thats what I thought but it's actually different. Cant really explain how but try it for yourself and you'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Coming back to this thread, I've found one move that's particularily useful in Pro Evo. When ever I'm one-on-one with the keeper, as the keeper comes out to meet my striker, I strike the ball with the Square (shoot) button, but before I let go of the button (or before before the bar reaches full power), tap the Cross (pass) button. Instead of just shooting the ball, the striker jinks it past the keeper, giving him a free shot on goal. Unless you have a defender who's about to make a last ditch attack on you, you should always do this move.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Em thats just basic manual crossing.

Coming back to this thread, I've found one move that's particularily useful in Pro Evo. When ever I'm one-on-one with the keeper, as the keeper comes out to meet my striker, I strike the ball with the Square (shoot) button, but before I let go of the button (or before before the bar reaches full power), tap the Cross (pass) button. Instead of just shooting the ball, the striker jinks it past the keeper, giving him a free shot on goal. Unless you have a defender who's about to make a last ditch attack on you, you should always do this move.
    Aye, i do this a lot but with Short Pass (X) as its closer to the Shoot button.

Advertisement