Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A subforum of Literature for Reading Lists?

Options
  • 04-12-2006 12:51pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What do people think of having a subforum created off the main Literature forum where people can keep a log of what they are reading in a personal thread?

I got this idea from the Fitness forum, where there is a sub forum for fitness logs.

http://blah.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=839

Will leave this poll open until end of December and see what the level of interest is with the aim of getting it up and running from lets say the beginning of next year onwards?

This is just an idea so please feel free to shoot it down.

Should a subforum of Literature for reading lists/logs be maintained? 10 votes

Yes - could be handy instead of digging through threads
    0%
    No - not enough interest & would be duplication of threads
    100%
    tHE vAGGABONDBossArkyStargalBlush_01r3nu4lOobieMintobuck65Backtoblackaequinoctium 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

[2 cents]I think the immortal "I are reading" thread is a better forum, personally, I'm unlikely to go to a sub forum to find out what are people are reading, whereas whenever I post to the thread, I scan up to see if anything grabs my eye.[/2 cents]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I agree with CzarCzar Gabor, the "What are you reading" thread works best.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thirdeded.
    There is not enough scope to warrant a sub-forum, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

I'd be interesting in compiling a backdated list and keeping it updated then.. sorta more for me than anything else. I would still go into the "what are you reading thread" to get feedback etc and to see what everyone else is reading...
    I voted Yes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I know everyones taste is subjective but what about if people in the sub-forum rated the books (out of ten) when they had finished reading them?

This would require the ability to go back and edit the thread at any time rather than the time limit in place at the moment.

Failing that, how about if people rated the books they list in the '...are mostly reading' thread?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Ok doesn't seem to be enough interest in this. Will let it slide.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Bumping to see if any renewed interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Still interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

How about a review subforum, instead of reading lists?

Each book/author gets it's own thread and people leave reviews of the book so other readers can see them. Unlike the discussion that goes on here, it'd be a review-only thing. In a way it'd be similar to a reading list subforum, but... not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

That's not a bad idea

• Advertisement

That is a good idea Blush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

pourquoi-pas?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I think that's an interesting idea

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Blush_01 wrote:
    How about a review subforum, instead of reading lists?

Each book/author gets it's own thread and people leave reviews of the book so other readers can see them. Unlike the discussion that goes on here, it'd be a review-only thing. In a way it'd be similar to a reading list subforum, but... not.

I was thinking the same a while ago, but never got around to suggesting it. It seems to work quite well for the films forum.

I don't know if it needs a sub-forum though, this doesn't seem to be too busy a forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

The only problem for having it here is each thread would need to be stickied here, and discussion wouldn't be allowed in those threads. Potentially the volume of review threads, especially if they were author specific, would push discussion threads (even in their original posting) back pages and pages into this forum, effectively killing the literature discussion forum and making it solely a review forum, which I would hate to see happen.

I think the potential the sub-forum would have to do just that, not to mention how much easier it would make navigation of the wealth of literature available (nobody in their lifetime could ever read all the books in the world, much as they might like to) justifies a sub-forum's existence. I'm currently reading a book I would never have thought to read because I disliked the name and wasn't sucked in by the blurbs on the back/dust jacket. However, it was recommended to me subsequently by someone whose judgement I respect, and although I'm not quite finished it I adore what I've read thus far. I find that a very rare occurrance (apathy is a wonderful thing). If the hypothetical sub-forum could do that without forcing people to make the expensive mistake of buying books they really don't like (which most people have done) and encouraging people to read books they genuinely would never have thought of, then I believe it would achieve something quite substantial.

Further, a number of people on boards are lurkers. They don't post regularly, if at all, but they do read the posts. Something like a review forum, while this forum retains it's discussion element, serves lurkers well too. They can find the information they want more easily than if they just trawl through the posts here, and it might even encourage them to become active reviewers themselves.

I just think it has some decent potential, that's all.

Advertisement