Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Named Driver?

Options
  • 04-12-2006 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

I got a quote off quinn for 1500 for my policy. But i checked and to add my dad, girlfirend and sister as named drivers its the exact same price. Is there any downfalls from having them as named drivers? It would be handy to have them in on the insurance just in case they ever needed to use the car?

I presume it stayed the same price cos im the higest risk driver?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yup. I have a few people down as named drivers on my insurance and none of them made a different price wise.

The only downside I could see is that if one of them has an accident driving the car, you're the one who loses your NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I got a quote off quinn for 1500 for my policy. But i checked and to add my dad, girlfirend and sister as named drivers its the exact same price. Is there any downfalls from having them as named drivers? It would be handy to have them in on the insurance just in case they ever needed to use the car?

Yes it is handy if they only drive your car the odd time or if an emergency arises, etc.

The downfall is that if one of these named drivers causes an accident or damage while driving the car and a claim is made against the policy holder's insurance then the policy holder's No Claims Bonus is reduced or whiped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Do you not get to keep your NCB if you remove the offending driver from the policy, that's what a friend's parents were told when they added him a few years ago. Could be just the insurer didn't want to lose corporate business in the evet of a personal calim though???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

In a lot of cases your insurance will go down when you name your partner on your policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I got my girlfriends car insured on Friday with Quinn. She was quoted 1350 on her own and 1150 with me on it. It's to try and get me to get my own policy with them eventually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

No real downfalls & it's handy to have someone who's insured to drive your car. I'm with Quinn & was lending my car to a friend for a month. When I called them, they said if I wanted to add her for a month it would cost some amount but if I just put her on the policy for good then it would be free, guess which option I took :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

opus wrote:
    No real downfalls & it's handy to have someone who's insured to drive your car. I'm with Quinn & was lending my car to a friend for a month. When I called them, they said if I wanted to add her for a month it would cost some amount but if I just put her on the policy for good then it would be free, guess which option I took :)

Yes but also be aware that if your friend caused damage to your or someone elses car while driving your car and a claim was made against your insurance it would have been your No Claims Bonus that would have been hit as the policy holder. It would have worked out pretty expensive for you then.

Advertisement