Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats that won't wash!!!

Options
  • 04-12-2006 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I have 2 perisan kittens, one 4 months and the other is 5 months. The problem is neither of them will wash. Anytime I source what the problem may be on the internet I just get information about depressed cats which they are not. They just seem to be lazy!! I have had to resort to bathing them as they were just so filthy!

If you anyone has any suggestions I would be so very grateful.

thanks so much

G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭hughm

Hi Gah,
    speaking only as an owner of 2 cats, not an animal welfare expert, if I was in your position I would consider smearing a small amount of catfood or something that they like on their front paws or arms for starters. See if they lick it off and in particular see if they contrinue to lick after the food is obviously gone. That would be a result in my book. Then try a bit on the hind legs or along theit tummies etc. See if you can get them to lick themselves in that way. They may work it out for themselves after that.

The worst that can happen is that they don't lick it off and they are just a bit smellier than before!

Let me know if you try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Odd problem, if they were old I can understand they might have arthritis or something. Try what hughm said and see how far it gets you. Were they taken away from their Mam too early maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Do they not make an attempt to wash themselves at all?
    How old were they when they were seperated from mum, if they were very young they might not of learned it from her but then again most cats do it by instinct.
    Or it could be that they do wash the odd time but being Persians they can't keep their coat by themselves, they would require brushing daily.
    An alternative is to clip their hair short especially in the areas where they get dirty the most, around their wee bums especially.
    Anytime I get long haired piggies in I keep their back end clipped, they are pets not show animals so we don't have a need to keep their hair long, and it makes maintinence so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

have never owned a long haired cat, but have fostered them. long haired cats & kittens in general need alot of grooming - any kittens I have fostered have needed assistance keeping their rears clean.
    you should start brushing them regularly (most short haired cats enjoy this too) try posting on the Kitten Adoption message board for further advice from the expert - Sausage :)
    am assuming if they are pedigree that you bought them from a breeder - can you contact the breeder for advice on grooming?

Advertisement